Which Software for Transcoding? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old October 26th, 2009, 07:48 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Which Software for Transcoding?

Hi,

I usually transcode my GH1 Footage in Toast but most of the time the Audio is not synced and about one Third of the Footage gives me a -50 Error and doesnt get converted.. Whatever this means..

So which Software would you all recommend.. Running on a Mac.. And maybe Freeware if possible..

Thanks in Advance..

oh.. and should i only Backup the Mts Files or should i save the whole Filestructure..?
Philipp Steiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2009, 11:34 AM   #2
Major Player

Do you own Final Cut Studio 3? That's the method I'd recommend as it's the most proper way. 'Log and Transfer' and select the PRIVATE folder, and voila, encode. It's quick too!

I used Toast as well, but it'd have problems with some files and the audio would be off, as you mentioned.

You can use iMovie if you really want to, but I'd advice against.. in my experience, it doesn't see anything past 30fps (so if you shoot 60P, it'll output 30P).

Good luck.
Christopher Ruffell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2009, 12:19 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philipp Steiner View Post
So which Software would you all recommend.. Running on a Mac.. And maybe Freeware if possible..
I recommend using Final Cut Pro - Log and Transfer. If you shot 720p, you're done. If you shot 1080p24, you'll want to remove the pulldown to convert 29.97 to 23.98. I use Compressor to do this using a preset I made. Just drop your clips in a batch and let it go.

I only keep my transcoded/pulldown removed footage, and delete everything else including the GH1 native files.

I tried Voltaic (not free), and JES deinterlacer (free). They work, but they crash, and I have given up on them.
Old October 26th, 2009, 01:04 PM   #4
New Boot

I posted a simple (and nearly foolproof) tutorial on how to get GH1 1920x1080 images into FCP and remove pulldown here:

Hot Rod Cameras Panasonic GH1 AVCHD – 1920×1080 23.98p Compressor Workflow (pulldown removal) – Cost = FREE, if you have FCP

I.

Illya Friedman
Hot Rod Cameras
Hot Rod Cameras
Illya Friedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2009, 10:08 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Hi,

Thanks very much for the Info.. I own a very old Version of Final Cut.. But actually wanted to update for a long time.. Now seems to be right enough..

cheers,
phil
Philipp Steiner is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series