Timelapse on GH1? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old December 2nd, 2009, 11:24 AM   #1
Major Player

Timelapse on GH1?

I am getting the GH1 next tuesday. I am wondering if there is a way to shot timelapses with that unit (I do it with my 7D but I don't know if that can be done with the GH1 as well).

Any ideas??

Thanx

Carlo
Carlo Zanella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2009, 05:51 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Hi Carlo

You'll need a remote release which you can buy on ebay. Do a search for JJB or Have timer remotes. If you're doing short periods, then you could also shoot in AVCHD and then speed up in post.
Old December 3rd, 2009, 11:13 PM   #3
Major Player

gh1 timelapses

Thank you Adrian. I have run a search with the data you gave me but I have not come up with anything. Could you be alittle be more specific (may be, complete brand name, model#, and/or some more info in general).

Thank you.

Carlo
USA - NM
Old December 4th, 2009, 02:43 AM   #4
Regular Crew

GH1 timer remote search on ebay brings up a list of these for me.

LCD TIMER Remote switch for Panasonic G1 L10 GH1 FZ20 - eBay (item 110456443052 end time Dec-11-09 07:15:07 PST)

One thing to think about..if you are going to be shooting a lot of timelapse this way, you could potentially end up hammering the shutter. I don't know how many shutter actuations the GH1 is rated for, but you would need to be shooting a lot of T/L before shutter replacement I would imagine. I have an Olympus e410 that I use as my timelapse "brain". This frees up the GH1 to shoot real time.

Just noticed I made a typo in my response and wrote JJB instead of JJC. JJB is a discount sports retailer frequented by chavs :-)
Old December 4th, 2009, 12:49 PM   #5
Major Player

gh1 timelapse

Thank you!!
Old December 30th, 2009, 06:45 PM   #6
Major Player

Just got the remote!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian Frearson View Post
GH1 timer remote search on ebay brings up a list of these for me.

LCD TIMER Remote switch for Panasonic G1 L10 GH1 FZ20 - eBay (item 110456443052 end time Dec-11-09 07:15:07 PST)

One thing to think about..if you are going to be shooting a lot of timelapse this way, you could potentially end up hammering the shutter. I don't know how many shutter actuations the GH1 is rated for, but you would need to be shooting a lot of T/L before shutter replacement I would imagine. I have an Olympus e410 that I use as my timelapse "brain". This frees up the GH1 to shoot real time.

Just noticed I made a typo in my response and wrote JJB instead of JJC. JJB is a discount sports retailer frequented by chavs :-)
Just got the remote. It took a while to get it, but it's well built and it works GREAT!. Thank you for your suggestion.

Best regards.

Carlo Zanella
The Santa Fe TV Show
Old March 2nd, 2010, 11:26 PM   #7
Major Player

re:

In my research on getting a timer to shoot the timelapses I came across two recommendations. The one above and also the

Panasonic DMW-RSL1 Remote Shutter Release for Panasonic DSLR and FZ50 (you can cut and paste in Amazon.

Anybody know the advantages/disadvantages of these two? Trying to decide which to get.

Excited to shoot some 4k timelapses I can include in a documentary I'm working on.
Josh Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2010, 02:28 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Get the one Carlo got. It's cheaper and more versatile. I bought one myself and it works great. The official Panasonic one is way, way overpriced.
Todd Norris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2010, 02:55 PM   #9
Major Player

re:

Sounds good. Thanks Todd.
Josh Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2010, 07:16 PM   #10
Major Player

I just saw your post...I still have the remote and it works great. You can also activate the video recording with it.

Carlo Zanella
The Santa Fe TV Show
Carlo Zanella is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series