Log and Transfer in FCP not giving me 24P with my GH1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old February 25th, 2010, 08:14 PM   #1
Major Player

Log and Transfer in FCP not giving me 24P with my GH1

I searched and didn't find a thread on this issue, but feel free to let me know if I missed. I shot an interview/performance piece on my new GH1 a week ago. I filmed it in the cameras highest quality which is 1920X1080 24P.

However when I brought it into Log and Transfer and transferred the clip, the end result it gave me is Apple Pro Res 422 1080 with a 29.97 framerate. Not only is this the incorrect framerate, but also its introducing interlacing.

If I look at the Import Settings on the Log and Transfer window in Final Cut the only settings available are Check boxes for toggling video and audio. Nothing to let me manually chance the framerate before I install.

What am I doing wrong here?
Josh Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2010, 02:53 PM   #2
Trustee

Did you try a Reverse Telecine?
Old February 26th, 2010, 03:14 PM   #3
Major Player

re:

I didn't. I'll give it a shot right now, but I was hoping to capture it correctly from the start. If I reverse telecine will it disrupt the audio?

Also will this remove the interlacing that was added as well?

Last edited by Josh Hayes; February 26th, 2010 at 04:12 PM.
Old March 1st, 2010, 11:00 PM   #4
Major Player

re:

That conforms the file, but still leaves interlacing in the footage. I'll start doing more research. I just assumed someone on here already had a GH1 and had run into the same problem initially of Final Cut Log and Transfer window capturing the 24P files as 29.97.

added this edit.
(Looks like the GH1 shoots at 24P but gets wrapped in a 29.97 by the AVCHD compression, so it will have to be corrected (something I didn't know). Now I'm just trying to find the best way to do that and to make sure there's no interlacing as well.

Last edited by Josh Hayes; March 1st, 2010 at 11:10 PM. Reason: learned a little additional info.
Old March 2nd, 2010, 04:44 PM   #5
Major Player

re:

Here's the answer. Gave me my beautiful footage back. The next test is to see if the audio still matches my 24P V1U footage I shot.

Compressor Pulldown Removal:

24p FCP AVCHD workflow:

1. In FCP, Log and Transfer
(AVCHD-> ProRes 422)

2. After you've logged and transfered all the files you want, open Compressor.

3. In Compressor:

Pick Format as Prores 422 HQ

Go to Video-> Frame rate-> Custom, Enter 23.976

Turn on frame controls-> Deinterlace settings-> Reverse Telecine

Set your output folder and click submit (this renders pretty fast and Compressor automatically finds the pulldown cadence and removes it)

4.Now import the new folder with new clips into FCP and you have 1080/24p
Josh Hayes is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series