Help: 720 Footage Crashing FCP During Log & Transfer at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old May 8th, 2010, 06:23 PM   #1
Tourist

Help: 720 Footage Crashing FCP During Log & Transfer

Hey guys, need some help.

I'm running FCP 6.0.1

I wanted to do some slo-mo tests today with my new GH1. Shot in AVCHD, Rec Mode SH (for 720 60p).

Opened up FCP, went to log and transfer, and the footage shows up in the clips. I can preview the files, etc. BUT, when I drop them into the queue for capture, FCP crashes.

So, I trash the preferences, repaired permissions, etc. Second try. Another crash.

I then tried my hand at rec modes H & L. Same issue.

Trashed preferences again. Reformatted card, etc.

Still having the same issue with rec modes SH, H, & L. But, FHD (1080i 24p) is still working.

Any ideas as to what's going on here? I'm pretty new to AVCHD, and I've heard some of the FCP gripes with handling AVCHD, but I was hoping not to encounter them. Apparently I should've knocked on wood. Thanks guys.
Ben Haslup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2010, 07:20 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Are you importing as ProRes or some other intermediate codec?

Unless you have an extremely powerful machine (i.e. a quad or octo core Mac Pro), I would recommend against importing as AVCHD, because it will often crash your machine.

If you log and transfer into ProRes, the files will be physically quite large, but much more manageable from a processor perspective.

Cineform is another option that some people find useful.
Old June 2nd, 2010, 09:40 AM   #3
Trustee

Any speed Mac can import AVCHD and transcode to ProRes 422. I've done it on a Mac Mini with no problems whatsoever. So, speed of your Mac will not be important.

What are your transcode settings? I use ProRes 422 and have not had any AVCHD problems (actually I've had the odd long clip that won't import - but splitting it got around the problem).

Have you tried transcoding to a different codec?

As long as the file structure is intact, FCP should have no real problems importing/transcoding AVCHD to ProRes (as long as it's Intel).

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series