Editing GH1 and JVC HM100 Footage? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old December 23rd, 2010, 03:05 PM   #1
Major Player

Editing GH1 and JVC HM100 Footage?

I'm looking at picking up a small camcorder to use alongside/intercut with my GH1 (soon to be GH2).

The obvious choice is the Pana HMC40, but sometimes I need to deliver to my main client in PAL format (50i specifically, although I just delivered in 25P and they were okay with it). That said, I wouldn't mind being able to have the option of shooting for broadcasters in the Americas.

So the HMC40 not being NTSC/PAL switchable is a strike against it unfortunately. The HM100, on the other hand, is switchable.

I currently transcode the .mts files to Prores and edit in FCP.

I'll also post this on the HM100 board.

Thanks all!
Dave Mercer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2010, 04:05 PM   #2
Major Player

What about the Panasonic HMC-151 which is switchable between PAL and NTSC ?

http://pro-av.panasonic.net/en/sales...AG-HMC151E.pdf
Guy McLoughlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2010, 09:41 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Wow, GH2/GH1 are pretty small and cheap already. You're looking for something around 3-400 bucks?
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2010, 09:46 AM   #4
Major Player

151 is too bulky ... and expensive.

I prefer small, discrete cameras when working alone. And I'd like to be able to fit both the GH1, a few lenses, and a handycam like the HM100 in my camera backpack.

That said, last night I looked into the HMC40, and though it doesn't have PAL framerates, it looks to give sharper images that might match the GH1/GH2 a bit better. And of course, editing would be a sinch.

Any experience with the HMC40?
Old December 30th, 2010, 11:05 AM   #5
Major Player

Yes I had one and the image was great. It matched my 7D when I had one.
I no longer have the AG-HMC40. It has a great lens for a camera in that price range. However it felt kinda cheaply made out of plastic. I sure it would be fine in most situations but not in a rugged environment.
I got rid of it for that reason.
Jim Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2010, 04:05 PM   #6
Major Player

Thanks for the input Jim. That's very helpful. So it might work well as a B cam to the GH2 (as and when needed).
Old December 31st, 2010, 08:51 AM   #7
Major Player

Yes I would think so.
Jim Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2011, 09:05 AM   #8
Regular Crew

HM100 and FCP timeline

The JVC HM100 outputs both .mov or .mp4 files. To place into Final Cut Pro use the .mov. An empty timeline will configure to the selected frame rate, size and encoder. With the HM100 I use a 720p60 setting so the timeline sequence ends up being 720p60 and XDCAM EX Codec.

The GH2 outputs in AVCHD at various framerates. You should match the framerate and size to the HM100 and transcode the AVCHD footage from your GH2 in compressor or quicktime to match the HM100 (or go the other way).

The third alternative is to make them both PRORES.

The key to easy editing is matching the framerate and size. You can also just drop both clips into a timeline and it will conform the clips but this means lots of rendering.

Dan
Dan Thomson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2011, 10:35 AM   #9
Major Player

I think Prores might be the best/easiest way, despite having to transcode both HM100 and GH2 files ...

Many thanks for that!
Dave Mercer is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series