GH13 News Story - Maui Aquaponics at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old December 30th, 2010, 04:10 PM   #1
Major Player

GH13 News Story - Maui Aquaponics

I just shot my first news story with the G13. It was fun ... but challenging. I'm used to shooting with a tiny-chip HDV camera, so it's been a STEEP learning curve.

Any feedback greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Dave Mercer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2010, 11:22 AM   #2
Major Player

Very nice, well told story. Liked the shallow DOF.
Jim Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2011, 07:37 PM   #3
Major Player

Cheers Jim.

What I really need to practice is using a deep dof to film more action shots (people doing things). And a good handheld solution to allow me to follow people (walking shots) and that sort of thing.

One award-winning filmmaker who uses a 5D for feature docs said he uses a monopod and an elastic camera strap to get some nice floating shots.

My only issue is that the channel I do work for converts the footage to 1080i50 for broadcast ... and motion doesn't convert very well.

Any suggestions welcome!!
Dave Mercer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2011, 09:02 PM   #4
Major Player

I appreciated that all the shots were rock steady, shot off a tripod. I am not much of a motion person unless it is shot off a steady cam type of stablized device like the Blackbird or Merlin.
Jim Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2011, 05:57 PM   #5
Regular Crew

THANK YOU for not doing everything handheld. MUCH appreciated.

I had to go back and re-watch it for camera stuff because I got engrossed in the story about a quarter of the way through and forgot why I started watching it...
Jesse Haycraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2011, 07:41 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Interesting choice of left, right channel audio. Found it a bit odd at first, is that something that is consistent with the channel?
Overall, really well done and a refreshing look to a news story from the 'everything in focus' lower bit rate HDV looking stories normally associated with this type of work.
Mike McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2011, 10:29 PM   #7
Major Player

Thanks guys. Nice to have some feedback.

Jesse - glad you liked the lack of camera motion ... and the content of the story. Aquaponics is pretty fascinating stuff actually.

Mike - I forgot to mix the audio, as I send FTP to the channel unmixed (and let them do the rest). I'll have to remember to mix it next time. Thanks for pointing it out.
Dave Mercer is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series