Audio gain on GH2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old February 15th, 2011, 09:15 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Audio gain on GH2

Hey folks...is the audio level on auto gain with shooting in any mode with external mic? Is there such a thing as auto audio gain at all on the camera when using an external mic? There are so many things I'm trying to learn on this cam, I've had so little time to play with it. I'm shooting a band on Saturday with it, and this is super critical. I've sold my other gear, so I'm stuck with shooting with it!

By the way, the new Rode Videomic Pro is the bomb for this camera, according to the reviews...I cannot wait to get me one!
Old February 15th, 2011, 11:10 AM   #2
Regular Crew

External mic works the same way as built-in, you have 4 levels of gain to use. And the built-in mic is very, very good, as for such a tiny camera. You probably will need proper plug-adapter, as the GH2 mic socket is for 2.5mm mini jack stereo plug. Can't help you more, as I haven't used it a lot as yet...
Waldi Krasowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2011, 11:18 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Waldi, I've hooked up my rode mic and it worked, but I then forgot how to change audio levels....no worries, I'll get it. I got the cam on Sunday and I've only played with it a total of about 1 hour, so I figure things out and then I forget, there's so much.During the day I have to edit, and evenings I start to mess with it and I fall asleep.
Old February 15th, 2011, 05:09 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Harper View Post
I figure things out and then I forget
Keep your mode dial set to Movies- the one with old type camera icon (Creative Motion Mode or whatever it is called), and forget the rest! You will have much less menu options to get lost.

Then press Menu/Set, go to MOTION PICTURES and you have access to every settings you might need including MIC LEVEL DISP and MIC LEVELS ADJUSTMENT. Just browse trough all the settings there and set them to your needs. Do it once and camera memorizes your presets. Thats it.

Last edited by Waldi Krasowski; February 15th, 2011 at 05:46 PM.
Waldi Krasowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2011, 08:06 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Waldi, you have nailed my problem, which I did not see.

I keep changing modes, and everything goes to hell, and I can't keep track of anything!

I will take your advice and try to learn that mode, get it down, and then branch out.
Old February 16th, 2011, 02:33 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Jeff, I was exactly like you when I got my GH2. I was so excited with its countless presets and features that I was getting lost every time I tried to change anything... And going up - out of the deeper menu options - I was already forgetting what I have done just a seconds ago :)) So my advice is to stay stuck to the movie mode only, get to know it well enough and on a next days you may try another modes on a dial. All the other modes are for making pictures, not for filming.
Waldi Krasowski is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series