suggestion for 100mm vintage prime - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old March 11th, 2011, 07:33 AM   #16
Major Player

Re: suggestion for 100mm vintage prime

Same dimensions/aspect, if just as if you were zoomed in but without changing/losing your f-stop of 1.7.
No lose of quality...read somewhere that it may even be sharper since you are using the center of the chip but don't know if that is true.
Jim Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2011, 07:45 AM   #17
Inner Circle

Jim, that does offer a whole new angle to things. I'm aware that you've been promoting this ETC thing, but I've ignored the conversation as I've focused on lenses. But now I see that it is a feature that can add flexibility to the lens I choose, at least for the GH2. Can I turn off the focus assist thing where the camera image expands? I would imagine that feature would be distracting while using ETC mode, for situations like being close to the altar and needing to get a closeup of the B&G.

ETC cannot be activated and deactivated while filming, is that correct?
Old March 11th, 2011, 07:55 AM   #18
Major Player

No it can not be deactivated will filming I do not believe.
Guess you already looked at the Voigtlander 25mm f0.95?
Expensive yikes.
Bloom seems to love it but it seems to be a difficult lens to find.
Jim Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2011, 08:08 AM   #19
Inner Circle

Yes, that is a VERY nice lens. I'm trying to outfit three cameras, it's way out of my price range! One day if I have $1k to burn, it would be nice to have!

I have to admit after the other video, the high ISO that Jim Snow keeps mentioning to me might be something to try. Maybe I can get more use out of the 14-140 than I expect. Still, 4.0 as a starting point is a bit slow, I'm just anxious to get my camera and lens back so I can start trying things with a more open mind.
Old March 12th, 2011, 02:21 PM   #20
Inner Circle

Okay so I pulled the trigger on a 100mm Canon FD 2.4. Yeah I wanted the f2.0 but couldn't find it. So $75, dunno if it's too high but for $75 and the seller was reputable and gave a comprehensive description so we'll see how it goes.
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2011, 07:07 PM   #21
Inner Circle

Brian, what about a 85mm 1.8? 85 not long enough, eh? I'm going to get one, after I pay for my new $200 adapter. This stuff is getting expensive.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series