Cameras and Golf Clubs at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old March 2nd, 2011, 01:05 PM   #1
Trustee

Cameras and Golf Clubs

That's a strange comparison I know but let me explain it. Golfers carry an assortment of clubs in their bag. They need different clubs for different purposes as they play their game, Could you imagine a golfer suffering bouts of anguish in an effort to find that ONE golf club to use as their only club? Of course not; there is no such thing.

It's no different with cameras. Yet some people are going through 'selection anguish' as they consider the GH2 - or other cameras. But there is no 'all-shooting' cameras any more than there is a universal golf club. Most pros have several 'tools' that they use to do their work. Take Philip Bloom as an example. He is a DSLR evangelist and has been a guiding light for many of us. He has a close relationship with Canon and has helped propel their DSLR cameras into the market. With that said, one of his favorite cameras is the GH2. If fact, he calls his "My beloved GH2". There is no need to look upon a GH2 as the last camera that you will ever buy. Just consider it capabilities and determine if it's a cameras that would fit in your 'bag.'

Although there are endless examples of what I mean about there being no 'universal' camera, I will give just one example. A member of our videographers association is Vinny Minton who shot an opening sequence of House which featured a skating sequence. He didn't use just one camera. He used a 5D and a 7D. He like the overall image that he gets from his 5D however some of the shots required slow motion so he used his 7D for those shots because there are more frame rates to choose from with the 7D.

So think golf clubs not faithful spouses when you are contemplating a new camera. ;-)
Jim Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2011, 02:20 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Cameras and Golf Clubs

I might as well be playing with one club! I might do better.
Jim Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2011, 02:29 PM   #3
Trustee

I know what you mean. There are plenty of times that I feel the same way. ;-)
Old March 3rd, 2011, 12:27 PM   #4
Major Player

The trick is finding the right number and types of "club" to fit in a single carry-on.

Do I have to wear plaid pants and a tweed cap now while filming?
Kevin McRoberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2011, 07:17 PM   #5
Trustee

All you need to wear are Knickerbocker Glories. ;-)
Old March 3rd, 2011, 11:23 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Jim, great analogy. Camera is a tool, nothing more.
Old March 4th, 2011, 09:01 AM   #7
Major Player

Good analogy Jim....its not the club but the swing, its not the camera but the operator.
Jim Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2011, 12:19 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Way back when and I mean way back 2 of the most world reknown photojournalists used Leica MIIs with 50mm lenses. Nothing more. A small rangefiner with a single lens. They produce images that are still today not only known around the world but iconic.
Alfred Eisenstadt and Henri Cartier-Bresson both siad at one time or another, it's not the camera but the person using it or words to that effect. Today I think too many get so involved with the gear we forget to see the "picture".
BTW, I've played golf with 1 club. Turkey trot, End of November, snow on the course. 1 club, orange golf ball, lots of clothes and more fun than ever. 5 wood is my club of choice. Don't do it anymore but when I did it really made me think about what I was doing.
O|O
\--/
Old March 4th, 2011, 12:46 PM   #9
Trustee

Hey Don, Do you also offer a "Turkey Trot" video package? ;-)
Old March 4th, 2011, 02:53 PM   #10
Inner Circle

First, man I need to spell check my stuff or wear my glasses. My 7 year old G daughter would be mighty unhappy with my spelling ;-)

Anyway, Jim, do you mean 1 camera or wearing lots of clothes? ;-)

I have gone away from the 1 camera shoot many years ago and now use 2 to 3. I DO wear pants shirts and shoes (in case I stop at a 7-11 for a Coke. Remember their mantra, "no shirt, no shoes, no service) and I try like hell not to shoot any outdoor weddings during November. Gets a little cool around here that time of year.

O|O
\--/

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series