panasonic gh2 24mb mode at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old March 13th, 2011, 04:04 AM   #1
Inner Circle

panasonic gh2 24mb mode

I've got a question about the 24p 24mbs mode of the panasonic gh2, as I understood this mode is the best quality you can get out of the camera. Only how does in work in combination with 25p footage?
Is it just a matter of dropping the 24p footage in a 25p timeline or is there a need to convert the 24p footage to 25p? The footage must be able to transfer to dvd, internet or blu-ray.

I am looking for a second dslr to go together with my canon 550d and since I read the GH2 seems to do better then the canon's I was planning to buy that one, only the 24p worries me as it needs to be matched with 25p footage.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2011, 11:01 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: panasonic gh2 24mb mode

24p is nice, but it depends on what you're shooting, your camera technique, and the final destination for your footage. Do you already know this before using 24p? Just checking?

On your question, I am not sure how you convert 24p to 25p, or vice versa, but my first thought is you would want cameras to match from the beginning if possible. You would want to convert the 24p to 25p prior to editing I would suspect.
Old March 13th, 2011, 01:49 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Thx Jeff for your answer, 24p should not be a problem as I always shoot 25p with my 550d and canon xh-a1. The only thing I"m not sure about is how well 24p blends with 25p as I have no experience with this format.
I was planning to get a second 550d body only but after reading up about the GH2 and how well it seems to perform in it's 24p mode I was thinking in getting that one instead, only not sure how 24p will affect the image when converted or just used in a 25p project. I use Edius 5.51 for editing, not sure if there are any users from pal countries that have any experience in this matter?
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2011, 05:56 AM   #4
Trustee

it's the only reason I haven't bought a GH2!

I believe you have to convert using something like Cineform it's a 4% difference I memory serves so I'd be very cautious!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series