What Brand Filter For Protection at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old March 26th, 2011, 04:29 PM   #1
Regular Crew

What Brand Filter For Protection

What brand filters do you buy to protect your lenes?

Norm
Norm Rehm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2011, 04:41 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: What Brand Filter For Protection

Just don't buy the cheapest price, get a coated filter if you can afford it. Even the famous Tiffen brand makes some cheap junk. It's not so much brand as quality, which you can pretty much determine by price. If it costs under $20 or $30, it's probably not so good. It should also specify that it is coated.
Old March 26th, 2011, 05:01 PM   #3
Inner Circle

I use multi coated b+w filters. even uv filter can cause glare that won't occur with a naked lens. They also reduce effectiveness of the lens shade. I only use Filters when shooting in dusty conditions. Lenses are pretty tolerant. Get a genuine lens pen and a Spudz for cleaning.
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2011, 07:56 PM   #4
Major Player

A scratch on a UV filter is a lot cheaper to replace than a scratch on a lens.
Jim Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2011, 08:16 PM   #5
Inner Circle

I think it depends...on the shooter. When doing run and gun, where the hazards are aplenty, when you change lenses, etc., if you're rushed at times, the UV filter is a good thing.

Likewise, at events where things get splashed (I've had a drink splashed on a camera once) a UV filter is not a bad idea.
Old March 26th, 2011, 08:26 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Forrest View Post
A scratch on a UV filter is a lot cheaper to replace than a scratch on a lens.
But that doesn't mean you should always have a UV filter on. If you aren't in a situation that puts the lens in danger, your footage will be better wrt reflected and direct light without the filter.
Old March 26th, 2011, 08:37 PM   #7
Inner Circle

So in other words, if needed, keep it on if you like. Then when you are in a situation where it would be best removed, take it off.

Les, is it possible to generalize the situations where it would likely be best to remove a UV filter? I have them on two lenses, my 20mm f/1.7 and my 50mm f/1.4.

Or are you saying just take it off whenever you conditions are safe?
Old March 26th, 2011, 10:11 PM   #8
Major Player

I had to send back a 5 grand fuji lens to be reground because someone opened a door and the knob scratched the lens. Happily I did not to pay for it but now I never practice unsafe videography.
A UV filter is the first thing I buy for a new camera.
Jim Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2011, 11:32 PM   #9
Major Player

Always a controversial topic..

My preference is for lens hoods or lens caps for protection.
Dan Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2011, 05:53 AM   #10
Inner Circle

For me, a UV or Polariser is something I decide if I need for a shoot when I configure my gear for a shoot. When in the camera bag or equipment bag, the cap is on. So the norm is off. Studio and indoor events are typically safe. Shooting from vehicles that move are questionable. Common sense always applies. e.g. bride/groom cake scenes, while typically an indoor event, are notorious for introducing flying debris.... ditto shooting near bodies of water or from boats (a vehicle that moves). Exceptions apply, YMMV.

BTW, attached is a frame from video where you can see the shape of the top and side of the lens hood reflected in the dusty polarizer filter (in the trees on the right). For that shot, the polarizer created a reflective surface not shaded by the lens hood illustrating the effect of the hood but also the negative effects of having a reflective surface in front of the lens. It was, however, a moving vehicle and I rightly had the filter was on.
Attached Thumbnails
What Brand Filter For Protection-lenshood.jpg  
Old March 27th, 2011, 06:15 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Thanks for posting Les. For many like me, this topic is a no-brainer, ie., put the protector on and leave it.

On the other handk your explanation makes sense and your photo is an alarming demonstration that conventional thinking on this subject might fall short.

I spend $$$ on lenses. If you think about it, why would one want to put something between my expensive glass and the subject that offers no improvement, but potentially can distort or otherwise negatively effect the image?

Very good information, and I will keep in mind that for weddings I can leave filter off, until the reception, and then when I arrive at the reception hall, on they will go.
Old March 27th, 2011, 10:53 AM   #12
Inner Circle

For an alternative, try the Cokin P system. Cheap and makes your rig look more pimped.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/474688-REG/Cokin_CBP40058_P_Series_Filter.html
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2011, 11:07 AM   #13
Major Player

If you are willing to spend the money ( I am ), I would recommend getting one of the "Digital HD" grade filters, that you can leave on your lens most of the time. ( I would always want to scratch or damage a filter, instead of damaging a lens )

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/533171-REG/Tiffen_52HTHZE86_52mm_Digital_HT_High.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/574269-REG/Hoya_XHD52UV_52mm_Ultraviolet_UV_Haze.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/391171-REG/Hoya_XD52UV_52_mm_Ultraviolet_UV.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/756811-REG/B_W_66_1066104_52mm_XS_Pro_NANO_Clear.html
Guy McLoughlin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series