ETC mode at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old April 3rd, 2011, 10:23 PM   #1
Inner Circle

ETC mode

Or whatever it's called. I used it extensively yesterday at a wedding. Results for me were mixed. In low light it is very grainy, very poor quality. In well lit conditions it looks great, I can't tell it was being used. It seems it's either awful, or excellent.
Old April 4th, 2011, 01:14 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: ETC mode

Jeff i find 720P E-T-C worse than the other frame rates but as you say outdoors its not bad,only useing my 45-200mm lens at far off objects does it look poor ,there is some E-T-C in this film the birds were about 50ft away, YouTube - FILE ARNE MARCH 2011.mp4
Martyn Hull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2011, 06:34 AM   #3
Major Player

Jeff,

Did you notice what your ISO bumped up to (in Auto ISO) when in ETC mode? I was playing around with ETC yesterday also, but it was daylight at ISO 160. I haven't tried it in lower light yet.

Interesting that I did notice my Kipon adapter with my 70-200mm Canon IS 2.8 was soft no matter the mode, when testing. I got nervous so I put the same lens on my 7D and it was crisp aiming at the same object. I did use a Variable ND on both at 2.8 because I couldn't stop it down enough with the Kipon without the vignette.
Steve Montoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2011, 07:22 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Martyn, I only used the mode indoors where there was lots of light, not outdoors.

Steve, the Kipon adapter is junk, IMO. I also don't like the look of my Canon 135mm in the footage Saturday, but I didn't take the time to set up I needed, we only had 20 minutes, which was not nearly enough time.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series