Serious, MAJOR GH2 Shortcoming - Page 7 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old April 18th, 2011, 10:57 PM   #91
Major Player

Re: Serious, MAJOR GH2 Shortcoming

Nigel,

I just read posts about how unusable a lot of the GH2 footage was because of poor focus (by Jeff Harper), so I was trying to figure out why it was so hard to focus for him and I guess I should reclarify...

I was asking if focusing ease was easier or harder on the GH2 when compared ot the Canon 60D or similar Canon DSLRs. But I suspect Jeff is coming from a real video background, so he would likely have had the same focusing issues with a Canon 60D as the ones he faced using his GH2.

So to confirm: the GH2 has continuous AF that stays on even after the recording button is pressed? Which lens allow the GH2 to use continuous AF in video mode? Only the kit lens?

I also read something about the Follow Focus feature on the GH2 being disable in the firmware to protect the AG-100...is this true?
Zhong Cheung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2011, 09:20 AM   #92
Inner Circle

Follow focus works fine on the GH2. The continuous focus function works with the two standard kit lenses and with the 20mm pancake partially. With ample light the face focus finder works great but once the camera loses the features due to shadows it can go batty.
Old April 19th, 2011, 01:40 PM   #93
Regular Crew

I find the video auto focus features of GH2 pretty underwhelming. Basically it works ok in very good light, (with small aperture) but even in an average lit room, it hunts all the time. I would never use it for any kind of paying job, wedding or otherwise. You just have to learn manual focus....period. Some kind of external monitor is a must for critical focus. Still haven't figured out how to setup a rig for that, but probably some kind of shoulder rig etc.
My eyesight is very good, and I can just barely get away with using the lcd for many shots where I can practice a focus pull. The EVF is much better...if you're in a position where you can use it...hunched over etc.
That's my $0.02 on focus.
Mike McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2011, 08:01 PM   #94
Inner Circle

the key thing I've found with AF is that it is annoying in standbye, but once you hit record, it's pretty good, just hit the shutter button halfway and it will refocus quickly in poor light even.
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2011, 11:32 AM   #95
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Luce View Post
the key thing I've found with AF is that it is annoying in standbye, but once you hit record, it's pretty good, just hit the shutter button halfway and it will refocus quickly in poor light even.
It was funny and humiliating the first time I tried to demo AF to some friends on my GH2. I tried to show AF tracking while the camera was in standby and it didn't work right. Fortunately one of my friends pointed out a few days later that it isn't intuitive that the camera needs to be recording for AF to work properly. It's too bad the poor manual needlessly complicates the learning curve on the GH2.
Jim Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2011, 09:47 PM   #96
Major Player

However, the AF only works with the two kit lenses and partially with the pancake lens? I find the kit lenses to be far too slow, so I wouldn't use them...does that mean I'm effectively throwing away the GH2's AF abilities?

And what do people mean by partially working for the pancake lens?
Zhong Cheung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2011, 10:30 PM   #97
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhong Cheung View Post
However, the AF only works with the two kit lenses and partially with the pancake lens? I find the kit lenses to be far too slow, so I wouldn't use them...does that mean I'm effectively throwing away the GH2's AF abilities?
No, not true, I have the Olympus 14-55 f2.8 and AF works well. I'm sure there are plenty of others too.
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2011, 11:18 PM   #98
Inner Circle

Here is the definitive list from Panasonic of which lenses do what Compatibilities of DMC-GH2 | Compatibility | Digital Camera | Product Support | Support | Panasonic Global
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2011, 05:31 AM   #99
Inner Circle

Zhong, my unsable footage was the result of walking around with the camera and trying to keep it steady, not focus, but focusing is certainly an issue for many of us being new to the camera.

This discussion is meant to be a thread of issues for those of us that already have the camera, we're not trying to sell the camera or discourage others from buying the camera.

All features don't work with the 20mm, but it is the single most versatile fast lens made for the camera and has the most uses. If there were a single lens I had to choose, it would be the 20mm.

Others around here would prefer the 14-140mm or 14-45, but I personally would never trade my pancake lens for anything.

Last edited by Jeff Harper; April 21st, 2011 at 06:10 AM.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series