Serious, MAJOR GH2 Shortcoming - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old April 11th, 2011, 04:41 PM   #16
Inner Circle

Re: Serious, MAJOR GH2 Shortcoming

I'm going to try turning the Highlight off again tonight but if it doesn't work I'll do a full reset.
Old April 11th, 2011, 04:48 PM   #17
Inner Circle

I almost did a reset, but I'm trying to avoid having to change everything back again, I've done it several times already. The process is good for helping to learn the camera though.
Old April 11th, 2011, 06:02 PM   #18
Inner Circle

The "Rec Highlight" menu function turns the blinking overexposure warning on or off.
Old April 11th, 2011, 08:09 PM   #19
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Harper View Post
Les, you are mistaken. With the GH2 and GH1 recording time is limited by battery only, and the moire issue is a non-issue. With a power pack I can shoot up to 8 hours non-stop. But with multiple cameras the battery thing sucks.
My list was not directed at the GH2. Rather the sum of "deficiencies" found in various DSLR approaches to video.
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2011, 06:28 AM   #20
Inner Circle

I suspected as much, Les, but then since we're in the gh2 forum, well, anyway, it's a nice camera, but certainly has it's challenges.
Old April 12th, 2011, 07:58 AM   #21
Inner Circle

To make my point explicit, this "shortcoming" just joins the list of shortcomings of shooting video on DSLRs. Some are "more short" than others to some people. For example, you apparently don't think twice about using a battery pack. Still others don't mind visiting their camera every twelve minutes and splicing lost footage from other cameras or whatever.

It's a little disappointing tho to find it on a DSLR that has made such strides in video (especially in moire) yet is still decent at the stills thing. :-)
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2011, 08:11 AM   #22
Inner Circle

All in all, Les, if I had to do again, I would've gone a different course than using these glorified point and shoots.

The work involved, the matching of settings between camera, then ooops, the lights been lowered now I have to run around and change them all. From my wedding Saturday, my fourth, wide camera in the balcony has to be fixed in post because it was set perfectly, then at the last second before the bride comes out they turned the lights out, and meanwhile, I'm on the main floor.

Most folks use these camera as supplements to "regular" video cameras, and it that is a sensible approach.

I would trade two good low light video cameras over four of these anytime. I really miss the zoom on the FX1000, etc, and have a real respect for the technology that went into them, particularly the lenses.

I suspect/hope that most prosumer/low end pro cams will be developed with a single larger sensor with the traditional video features. That is what I'm waiting for. In the meantime, I will learn more about photography then I ever wanted to know using these!
Old April 12th, 2011, 09:11 AM   #23
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Wilson View Post
To make my point explicit, this "shortcoming" just joins the list of shortcomings of shooting video on DSLRs. Some are "more short" than others to some people. For example, you apparently don't think twice about using a battery pack. Still others don't mind visiting their camera every twelve minutes and splicing lost footage from other cameras or whatever.

It's a little disappointing tho to find it on a DSLR that has made such strides in video (especially in moire) yet is still decent at the stills thing. :-)
. "Still others don't mind visiting their camera every twelve minutes and splicing lost footage from other cameras or whatever."
?? What 12 minutes?
Jim Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2011, 10:38 AM   #24
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Forrest View Post
. "Still others don't mind visiting their camera every twelve minutes and splicing lost footage from other cameras or whatever."?? What 12 minutes?
The Canon DSLRs have a 12minute/4GB file size recording limit.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2011, 11:49 AM   #25
Major Player

Yes but we are not talking about Canon's. My Nikon D7000 shoots for 20 min. and of course the GH2 can go on and on and is not a DSLR. These restrictions are lifting. Its only relevant on the 7D forum.
Old April 12th, 2011, 02:01 PM   #26
Inner Circle

Coming from 25 plus years of video camera operation and longer as an amateur still photographer I can clearly say that using the GH2 is a wide step sideways in video recording over a low end industrial/prosumer video camera. Manual operation is a pain to get used to but less annoying than a camera like the Sony HD1000 which costs the same as a GH2 with the 10x lens. Compared to a low end pro 3-chip HD camera, the GH2 is a pain to use in situations that are fast changing. For interviews, controlled dramatic filming and beauty shots for advertising or promotionals, the GH2 is a very, very good camera for the price. For news, events (weddings, stage shows, etc.) and uncontrolled situations, a standard video camera is probably better.
Old April 12th, 2011, 03:07 PM   #27
Inner Circle

William, your post really sums it up perfectly. Well said.

Though I'm still planning my plan of attack with my current batch of cameras, I don't see a way around acquiring a "real" video camera, the sooner the better. I sold off my old ones, but I'm thinking a FX1000 would make my life SO much easier. And the end product would be superior to boot because I would have consistent, usable shots at all times, at least from one camera. I cannot run four of these babies by myself. I thought because I ran four regular video cameras alone I could do this, but it's too much.
Old April 12th, 2011, 04:25 PM   #28
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Hohauser View Post
Coming from 25 plus years of video camera operation and longer as an amateur still photographer I can clearly say that using the GH2 is a wide step sideways in video recording over a low end industrial/prosumer video camera. Manual operation is a pain to get used to but less annoying than a camera like the Sony HD1000 which costs the same as a GH2 with the 10x lens. Compared to a low end pro 3-chip HD camera, the GH2 is a pain to use in situations that are fast changing. For interviews, controlled dramatic filming and beauty shots for advertising or promotionals, the GH2 is a very, very good camera for the price. For news, events (weddings, stage shows, etc.) and uncontrolled situations, a standard video camera is probably better.
I agree totally, but I don't think anyone was going to use it in a run and gun environment.
For me it is a second lockdown camera for my EX3, the 2 cut quite well together . But I think the GH2 is good in an entirely controlled situation like a doc or feature...or as an add on using it on my Blackbird as a steady cam type of shot.
But using it where people are moving around would be quite challenging. I can not see using it at an event shooting.
A friend of mine finally sold his Canon 7D to buy the new Sony NEX-VG10. It gave him a video camera with a large sensor and interchangeable lenses.
Old April 12th, 2011, 04:35 PM   #29
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Forrest View Post
...but I don't think anyone was going to use it in a run and gun environment.
And yet, I will do it! I will master this camera!
Old April 12th, 2011, 04:36 PM   #30
Trustee

I agree Jim. I use an EX1R and find the GH2 footage works very well with it. I shot a wedding with both of them Saturday and they are a great pair to work with. I got shots with each of them that would have been a problem with the other. I don't know where this 'one kind of camera' thinking comes from. Must have been a virus someone picked up over in the Canon-ites forum.

He said, "By gum, my hammer is better than your screwdriver!"

I said, "Not at driving screws it isn't!"

BTW the wedding I shot was at Pebble Beach in a private estate next to the 14th tee. I thought of this very issue as I watched the golfers choose the appropriate club for each "shooting" situation. Wouldn't it have been weird if some lumpkin tried to play the course with just one "best" golf club. This is exactly the same thing as the point I made about cameras.
Jim Snow is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series