Photos with GH1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old April 29th, 2011, 06:55 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Photos with GH1

Ok Patrick, I think I NOW know what you are talking about.

Ok people, I started taking photos at the park today, everything is cool. I'm in Shutter priority, then went to manual, everything is great. Photos are looking good, changing settings is breeze.

Shot some video. Still great.

At some point I changed something, don't know what or how and in manual photo mode it all went to hell. The exposure would change by itself even though I'm in full manual. I played with the damned thing for an hour, and it sounds like what Patrick was talking about. It was like it was in auto ISO, but I wasn't. I get home, and sit in the living room, same thing. In movie mode this doesn't happen.

Or it seems like the exposure is changing. It's like some auto setting is on and I can't turn it off. What is it? Anyone know?
Old April 29th, 2011, 08:33 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Photos with GH1

My problem is that any shutter speed past 1/1500 is no longer reflected in the preview. I have to basically snap off test shots as I try each shutter speed to see what is actually getting captured. Any shutter below that is fine. It makes it aggravating if I'm trying to keep a shallow dof by keeping the aperture fairly open, but can't see what's going on.

I know what you're talking about, though, Jeff. I have that issue in full manual, as well. As I move the camera to different lighting levels in my house it adjusts the exposure on its own. I'd like to shut that off, too.
Patrick Janka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2011, 02:39 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Patrick, this issue is happening in S priority as well as manual, so it is a setting on the camera that I inadvertently changed, and I think it is Exposure Compensation, when you push wheel it can be turned on and off, which I did once, but now can't repeat it. The meter bar on the bottom can be yellow or white, but now I'm not able to get it to change. I'll have to check the manual in the morning.
Old April 30th, 2011, 05:39 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Patrick, I can't find the solution. The camera is worthless for photos until I fix it. Actually, it will take them in this auto mode or whatever is happening, but you cannot under or overexpose, or do anything in shutter priority or manual, etc, other than shoot in the mode the camera sets for you. There is no manual mode on my camera any more, really sucks.
Old April 30th, 2011, 07:41 PM   #5
Major Player

Have you tried resetting the camera to factory settings? I wouldn't say it's worthless, but it makes it more of a pain. I've taken some nice pictures, but I wouldn't argue that it's a better still camera than a Canon or Nikon. For video and as an all around hybrid the GH2 is superior, but it's lagging in photo. If it dominated there it would be the perfect all around camera.
Patrick Janka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2011, 08:18 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Resetting would work, and I have three others that probably are fine, but I really want to know what happened. I do not want this to happen on a job and be screwed!

Good suggestion Patrick. And yes photos are fine in this "auto" mode, but who's going for fine?

I shot at the park today with the 50mm 1.4 and wow, great stuff. The photos I got yesterday before the camera went nuts were reallty great. I do love that lens, but 100mm is a challenge to use.
Old May 2nd, 2011, 09:42 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Patrick, reset doens't affect this problem. I have given up, completely. I have found by running in P mode for photos, I can use exposure compensation, and adjust as needed. This will likely be good enough for my purposes.

I would prefer to run in Shutter priority, but like you, now I am getting nothing at all like the preview on my LCD, at any settings but P mode and settings like Portrait, ext. while using a Canon lens. If it weren't for the video on the camera, I would consider it junk and pitch it, and buy a Canon or Nikon.. However, the video is not affected and is still fully functional, and looks great.

So that's my solution, to run in P mode when using a Canon lens, and just adjust with EC.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series