wedding camera at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old June 12th, 2011, 04:11 PM   #1
Regular Crew

wedding camera

wanted to ask those who have done weddings, whats a decent camera for no more than 7 or 800? I'm doing a friends wedding and am not good yet with the gh2 to even attempt a wedding. Ive gotten ok with close up shots so thats prob how i will use the gh2.

He's paying me(and another friend) so figured It would be worth it to get a second cam that I can use for me too down the road for shorts and moviemaking etc. We are also lined up to do his brothers wedding in the fall so the camera will definitely get used.

His only request with how its shot was either 24 or 30.

thanks
Mike Leah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2011, 06:07 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: wedding camera

That price range makes it a little tricky . . . I would maybe suggest the Panasonic TM900. It's a little over $800, but I've been hearing great things about it. Small, sharp, good in low light.

Or you can get a TM700, the previous model which is also very good, on Ebay for well under your budget.
Corey Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2011, 08:50 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Corey, I was going to make the same recommendation, but couldn't remember the model.

Mike, Corey is right, for the money that is a very good recommendation.

Only thing, why would your friend want a wedding shot in 30p? It's not supported for DVD or Bluray, do you guys know that? Unless it's for internet only, would be a poor choice.

And if you're not an experienced shooter using 24p, it's another poor choice. 24p is more than setting camera's settings, it's a whole 'nother way of shooting, if you want it to look like anything decent. If improper camera techniques are used it would look pretty bad.

But as long as you know what you're doing...just checking. Otherewise, you would end up with choppy footage and then you'd be in here asking what was wrong with the footage and how to smooth it out!

I should temper the 24p criticism, panning etc, are what primarily look rough when done improperly, and for actions shots, etc it can get really tough when your following things, but as I said, if you know what your're doing, cool. 24p can look great when done well, but that is true of 1080i also!

Last edited by Jeff Harper; June 12th, 2011 at 09:40 PM.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2011, 01:39 AM   #4
Major Player

At present I have an HV30, still a great cam, and a GH2. If i was getting a cam now and did not want to spend on the Canon XA10 it would be the HF G10, without doubt the best low light cams at present.
Martyn Hull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2011, 07:09 PM   #5
Regular Crew

ANOTHER GH2...in a heartbeat.
Gary Hanna is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series