How much better is GH2 over Canon T3i? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old July 28th, 2011, 07:38 PM   #16
Inner Circle

Re: How much better is GH2 over Canon T3i?

14-42 huh? Lloyd, I just ordered a another cam, and got the kit lens with the 14-42 for fun. It is far from being a great lens, but I wanted it for some reason, and it was nearly free so why not?

So do you have any samples of your lens on a merlin? When and where do you use it? I'm about to order a Glidecam, and was thinking the lens might be good outdoors, but what do you do indoors? For first dance? Don't you have to change lenses and re calibrate your Merlin?
Old July 28th, 2011, 09:16 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Indoors I use either the 20mm and just keep a safe distance to stay in focus, or I switch to the T3i with a wide angle lens. I've gotten good results with this as well. Although I will always go for the 14-42mm if the light is sufficient. It's not a great lens, but if you use it for a specific purpose like flying, it is very useful. I'm not sure, but I would assume the 14-45 would also do the trick with slightly better optics.
Evan Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2011, 01:37 AM   #18
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan Lloyd View Post
I use the 14-42mm for auto focus shots, and it works great. I use it on my jib and on my Merlin. Hunting for focus has never been a problem. I usually set the Aperture to around f4 and try to pause a second or two before I begin my move. The 20mm sucks for auto focus. The 14-140mm is usable but not great. the 100-300mm has been effective when I've been shooting surfers, but I can't say it has reliable auto focus in all situations. For whatever reason the 14-42 has been great for auto focus.

Evan
Aha! That must be the solution. I have the 14-42mm as it is the kit lens that was bundled with the GH2 but I have barely used it as I have all those other better lenses, at least they are better for everything except for auto focus it would appear. I shall have to try & remember where I put it & try it out.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2011, 10:51 AM   #19
Major Player

One thing I wonder about is why the guys like still motion, Joe Simon have not migrated over to the panasonics? Is it because they are too busy to learn the new cameras? Although I hear that still motion got an Epic. Is anyone doing +$8k weddings using the panasonics?
Greg Fiske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2011, 10:57 AM   #20
Inner Circle

Greg, what do you shoot with, and what do you charge? Are you using the Canon DSLRs?
Old August 1st, 2011, 11:30 AM   #21
Major Player

I shoot with a 5d mark II, t2i and a gh1. I deliver a trailer, short film and backup documentary edit of the ceremony and speeches. Gh1 I use for the documentary footage. Packages start at $1k, I'm just starting out so hopefully that will improve down the road.

I follow and study the work of Canon shooters on vimeo. Maybe its because its more prevalent? I see that most of the support rigs on the market are catering to the Canon shooters.
Greg Fiske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2011, 11:31 AM   #22
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Fiske View Post
One thing I wonder about is why the guys like still motion, Joe Simon have not migrated over to the panasonics? Is it because they are too busy to learn the new cameras? Although I hear that still motion got an Epic. Is anyone doing +$8k weddings using the panasonics?
I am not doing +$8k weddings but I imagine that the guys like Joe Simon continue to use the Canon DSLRs for the same reasons that we do. If you are used to the Canon 5D Mk II then the GH2 is a tiny little plastic toy in comparison. The ergonomics are just awful. Plus like us they have invested more in Canon lenses than in cameras & there is no way decent way to use them on the GH2. The video from the GH2 is technically better quality with higher resolution & no problems with moire or aliasing however it does not look as rich & filmic as the video from the Canon DSLRs. The images from the Canon DSLRs just look better.
Old August 1st, 2011, 12:15 PM   #23
Inner Circle

I agree Nigel, I hate the ergonomics of these things, but otherwise they are phenomenal.
Old August 1st, 2011, 01:00 PM   #24
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Barker View Post
rich & filmic as the video from the Canon DSLRs. The images from the Canon DSLRs just look better.
I agree that the Canon "look" is superior to the Panasonic, but why do you think that is? How can the video be "technically better" and "higher res", but not look as nice? Some people mention the depth of field, but with my Voigtlander f/.95 I can get pretty shallow dof. It can't be the color, because that can be fixed in post.
Patrick Janka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2011, 11:55 PM   #25
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Janka View Post
I agree that the Canon "look" is superior to the Panasonic, but why do you think that is? How can the video be "technically better" and "higher res", but not look as nice? Some people mention the depth of field, but with my Voigtlander f/.95 I can get pretty shallow dof. It can't be the color, because that can be fixed in post.
I imagine that part of the Canon 'look' is down to slightly softer focus due to less resolution plus the different DoF characteristics. I am not sure that it's true that the colour can simply be fixed in post at least not unless you are a Hollywood post-production facility anyway.
Old August 2nd, 2011, 12:58 AM   #26
Major Player

Straight from the Canon's lips, if they can better this GH footage I have yet to see it.
Martyn Hull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2011, 01:05 AM   #27
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Janka View Post
I have owned canon DSLRs soft video with color that GH2s can match easily.
Martyn Hull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2011, 02:10 PM   #28
Trustee

I believe (and most others) the Canon takes one of the best still pictures.

But for video, for technical reasons the images do appear soft. This would drive me nuts thinking i'm not quite in focus. I'm not sold on the color vibe at all. Give me an image that as not been saturated and properly exposed, I'll create the look in post. This is normal for many video post engineers and certainly all of the RED camera clan.

I must admit, the GH2 is quite remarkable, even more so when shooting 24P at 60mb/s AVCHD!
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2011, 09:16 PM   #29
Major Player

Martyn, those videos look excellent. I wonder why the DP framed the interview with the man speaking to the edge of the frame as opposed to the other side, however. He was also a bit underexposed.
Patrick Janka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2011, 11:11 PM   #30
Inner Circle

Canon image is a little more filmic than GH2 because it has higher color depth. GH2 only has 8 bit, Canon is coming through 14 bit I think. But GH2 has sharper image and no alias and moire nightmares. GH2's can be hard to find also. The crop factor difference is 1.6 versus 1.9. Not that much.
Brian Luce is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series