AG-AF100 vs. GH2 final round at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old October 3rd, 2011, 09:09 PM   #1
New Boot

AG-AF100 vs. GH2 final round

I hear on this forum, and in others, people constantly saying one is better than the other. I personally own both and am willing to do a test. It might be a week or two before I'll have time to do it, but I will do it, preferably with advice from people on this forum and others.

I ask, is there any links you can post of people that already have done a test with these two camera's? I'd like to see what others have done before I do mine.

I want to test only image quality. That seems to be what people are always bickering about. We all know the benefits of SDI, price, ND, smaller size, and which camera has each benefit. It's the image in question.

All tests will be done with the same lenses. I think 5 different camera configurations are needed to do the test correctly. Here are the 5 I'm thinking.
1. AF100, 24p, with Abel's "RANGE" settings, AVCHD.
2. AF100, 24p, with Abel's "RANGE" settings, ProRes via external recorder.
3. GH2, 24p, best high latitude settings, stock.
4. GH2, 24p, best high latitude settings, highest quality yet reliable long GOP hack.
5. GH2, 24p, best high latitude settings, highest quality yet reliable I-frame only hack.

What are the preferred high latitude settings for the GH2? As for what hack settings to use, I'm open for suggestions as well. I'm leaning toward cbrandins 66mbps AQ2 and Driftwoods latest 176mbps version.
Brian Walstad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2011, 10:46 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: AG-AF100 vs. GH2 final round

Hi Brian. On this forum, I've not seen this issue raised, so the debate you talk about is new to me, but I can guess there will be rabid fans of each camera that will insist one is better than the other.

Can't hlep with test ideas, other than to say thanks in advance for your effort!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series