Noktor 12mm f/1.6 Premium Lens for GH2 ! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old October 5th, 2011, 07:25 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Noktor 12mm f/1.6 Premium Lens for GH2 !

"More Micro 4/3! It seems like there has been a flood recently and instead of water it has been Micro 4/3 gear! 1st the E-P3, then the 12mm, then the 45mm, and now I have another lens that arrived from the Fed Ex guy today, the SLR Magic/Noktor 12mm f/1.6 lens (which will give us micro 4/3 shooters a 24mm equivalent). Next week I should have the Panasonic 25 1.4 as well. MAN oh MAN! It’s Micro 4/3 MANIA!!!!

This 12mm Premium Noktor lens is a 12mm much like the Olympus 12mm… but it is an even faster lens with a 1.6 aperture when wide open! Uh oh, is the little Oly in trouble? Not really. While this lens is $200 less expensive it is also MANUAL FOCUS so it will be for those guys and gals who do not mind manual focus. Many micro 4/3 shooters are not interested in manual focus, but many of the enthusiasts are. This 12mm is longer than the Olympus 12mm and heavier as well but again, it is also FASTER! It is also usable at 1.6 unlike cheap fast lenses that perform like garbage when wide open. This lens performs pretty damn amazingly actually from the short test snaps I took today. I was HIGHLY impressed and have not seen this good of quality from Noktor before.

The details..
•This is a 12mm wide angle lens (24 Equiv)
•Fast at F/1.6!
•2% distortion – This has optical correction
•Close focus 0.15m – macro!
•12 step-less aperture blades - great for video and cinema and pleasing bokeh
•Depth of field scale printed on the lens
•499 smackers!
•December availability in the USA with BLACK ring on front of lens.

Now, I have only had this lens a few hours and have only taken a few test snaps around the house but I can see that at f/1.6 it is a little teeny bit soft at the edges but still looks VERY nice. By f/2 it sharpens up and is just about flawless. Also this lens has VERY LITTLE distortion. Oh, did I mention it also doubles as a macro lens? Yes, the crazy guys at SLR Magic decided to add Macro functionality to this lens even though it is a 12mm wide angle! "
1st Look world premiere! The SLR Magic/Noktor 12mm f/1.6 Premium Lens for Micro 4/3! | STEVE HUFF PHOTOS

SLR Magic 12mm F 1.6 for Micro 4:3 1st Look! - YouTube

"When news of the SLR Magic 12mm f1.6 Hyperprime broke, we announced it on our Facebook page. Our copy literally just came in the door yesterday, here’s a quick video preview of the lens. Note that this lens was primarily developed for videographers and in my conversations with the SLR Magic reps, the lens actually has T-stops and not F-stops. So like the Zeiss 85mm that we had hands on time with, it’s a cinema prime. What are T-stops? We explain it a bit in this article; but they’re f-stops only much more accurate."
Hands On Review: SLR Magic 12mm f1.6 Noktor Lens for Micro Four Thirds at The Phoblographer

SLRMagic 12mm f1.6 at the The Phoblographer - YouTube

This looks like a great companion lens to the MF 25mm F0.95 Nokton for HD video.
Joe Ogiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2011, 09:26 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Noktor 12mm f/1.6 Premium Lens for GH2 !

For cinematic applications, sounds great, and it sounds like a very fun lens.

Nevertheless, for my wedding work, I need the instant focus of the Olympus. As a solo operator with multiple cameras, the Olympus is perfect.

I'm do not plan on ever going back to a manual focus lens for my work, but if I were to have to choose any manual focus lens, this one looks like it would be a steal and worth every penny. It would be quite easy to use and versatile. If I get an extra $500 to throw around, I'm sure I'd pick one up just to experience the damned thing.
Old October 5th, 2011, 08:26 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Joe Ogiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2011, 09:34 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Seb Farges has the best review byb far !

"MFT Wide and Fast !
Noktor / SLR Magic Hyperprime 12mm f/1.6
The Daylight tests

I've just received this afternoon from SLR MAgic their new wide and fast angle, a 12mm f/1.6 (24mm in 24X36 eq.) in a Micro Four Third mount.

This is, to my opinion, an incredible lens, fast and wide, and there is no visible distortion. The focus and aperture rings are very smooth. It is all made in metal.

XXX There is in my test a small vignetting in the outside shots due to the use of a 62mm L.C.W variable ND filter (with a 58mm/62mm step up ring). To avoid the vignetting you'll need a 67mm or a 72mm filter with the right step up ring, because remeber this is a wide lens ! I'll try with this combination later XXX

-The lens has 12 aperture blades like cinema lens.
-The 1.6 is a T stop aperture, eq. to f/1.4 aperture !

-No visible distortion and optical correction instead of digital so people look normal at edge of photo.
-No vignette (you'll need a step up ring for filters...)
-When macro the lens is 3cm from object only !!!!

The 12mm lens is a whole different lens than the Magic Toy 11mm. it is a lot better but at the same time it is not the same price. it is $500 US. it is very creative but has good performance as well. Macro ability is amazing on this lens.

Lens length 2.92 inches

Front filter thread 58mm

Weight is 325 grams

In EU and US the lens will be SLR Magic HyperPrime 12mm F1.6 with a SLR Magic black ring. (TBA. around End November or December)

In other parts of the world it will be the Noktor HyperPrime 12mm F1.6 with the Noktor green ring -the one I'm using for this test (available in October)

From Andrew from SLR Magic : "It had been a big challenge designing this lens and living up to the Noktor Ultra Fast Lens name. F1.6 is the largest aperture we can get this UWA lens to go. It works great indoors but flares when there is strong light. When you stop down to f2 there are no more problems. It was a debate for us if this was a good decision or not. Making this lens F1.6 with some flaws or make it F2 or F4 with no flaws wide open but smaller aperture."

GH2 24P
Nostalgic mode
Noktor / SLR MAgic Hyperprime 12mm f/1.6
Apertures between f/1.6 and f/5.6

L.C.W Mark II 62mm ND variable filter for the outsides shots + step up ring 58mm to 62mm
Shutter speed : 1/50"
Joe Ogiba is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series