Redrock Micro Live Lens MFT at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old October 6th, 2011, 01:12 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Redrock Micro Live Lens MFT

A new active lens mount from Redrock Micro that allows Canon EF lenses to mount to micro 4/3 - with powered aperture adjustment!

Redrock Micro - Live Lens MFT

Does anyone else think this sounds awesome!
Attached Images

Old October 6th, 2011, 04:47 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Redrock Micro Live Lens MFT

Aperture is controlled by the adapter, not the camera, so for studio work I would think it would be nice.
Old October 6th, 2011, 10:47 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Harper View Post
Aperture is controlled by the adapter, not the camera, so for studio work I would think it would be nice.
Yes, apparently the aperture on the EF lenses require a powered controller for adjustment, and are not able to be adjusted on the lens ring itself. So does this mean that EF lenses were previously never able to be mounted on m4/3 cameras? I know there are some nice EF lenses out there, this might be great for GH2 and other m4/3 owners.
Old October 6th, 2011, 11:03 AM   #4
Inner Circle

They can be be mounted with an adpater, I have used two EF mount lenses. They have no aperture control, because EF lenses have no aperture ring. EF lenses are, for me, a non-issue, and the least thing I think about. With a good videocamera or two, and a GH2 with some M4/3 lenses, I don't need the distractions of EF lenses. There are Rokinon and other EF mounted lenses with aperture rings, but Canon lenses no. For aperture ring you need the third party lenses, or an FD mount.

But why bother, if you're shooting basic weddings? We now have a 45mm F/1.8, 12mm F/2.0, the 20mm F/1.7 all with auto focus, and complete camera compatibility at our disposal. I have lost most interest in Canon and Rokinon lenses.

There are people like Joe O and Gary H, and Kevin M, and many others that do amazing work with those lenses, but for me, they don't fit in with my run and gun style.

For my wedding work I don't need much more than what I now have. I'm stuck on Olympus and Panasonic lenses, they are a breeze to shoot with. I have two 4/3 zooms as well, so everything's covered.

Angelo, I've gone through about 12 lenses or so with these cameras, and I've never been happier than when I simplified and got on the path of the fastest fully compatible lenses for the GH2s. Life is easier. I still have the FD lenses and one EF mounted lens to play with, until I can sell them, but I don't use them for paid gigs anymore.
Old October 6th, 2011, 11:52 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Thank you for the slap of reality Jeff!

I get excited when I see new products, especially from Redrock Micro - who I love. (I have their should mount for my NX5, and love it!)

But the truth is, like you said, with the selection of native m4/3 lenses - why bother!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series