How To Support Heavy Lens at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old January 28th, 2012, 10:12 PM   #1
Major Player

How To Support Heavy Lens

I finally got the correct adapter for my Vivitar 70-210 zoom. Now I'm wondering how to mount it and the GH2 on my tripod. The lens is easily 4 times the weight of the GH2 and I can't believe it would be good to use the GH2 tripod mount and let that heavy lens pull down on the cam. The lens has no tripod mount like some long teles do.

So how do you support heavy lenses when you use your GH2 on a tripod? Is there a way to fit big lenses with some kind of tripod mount? Maybe a rail system of some kind to balance the lens and cam?

D
Dennis Vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2012, 04:57 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: How To Support Heavy Lens

Dennis - lots of video shooters use rails, but that can get

Other folks build lens supports themselves, but that requires time that you may not have.

I recommend a

. Simple, in stock at Amazon, and it works.

Good luck, and please let us know how it turns out.

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution
Bill Bruner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2012, 07:46 AM   #3
Trustee

Here are some adapters which have a tripod mount. I have no experience with them.

Canon FD Lens to Micro 4/3 M4/3 adapter with 1/4" Tripod Mount E-PL3 PL1 GF3 GF2 | eBay

Tripod Nikon AI Lens to Micro 4/3 m4/3 Mount Adapter for GH-1 GF-1 G-1 EP-1 EP-2 | eBay
Mark Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2012, 03:43 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bruner View Post
Dennis - lots of video shooters use rails, but that can get expensive and complicated.

Other folks build lens supports themselves, but that requires time that you may not have.

I recommend a $70 Manfrotto 293 telephoto lens support. Simple, in stock at Amazon, and it works.

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution
Looks like exactly what I was looking for! Thanks. You guys are great.

D
Old January 29th, 2012, 03:45 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Williams View Post
Damn. I shoulda thought about this option before I bought my adapters. Even so, they look a little flimsy to support a 2 or 3 lb lens. But good to know for future reference. Thanks.

D
Old January 30th, 2012, 08:42 AM   #6
Major Player

I have a Fotodiox pro shift adapter with one of those small lugs for tripod attachment... it is largely useless. There is not enough surface area to keep the setup from twisting left or right on the tripod once any lateral force is applied (say, when zooming or focusing, which tends to be necessary).
Old February 1st, 2012, 11:13 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bruner View Post
Dennis - lots of video shooters use rails, but that can get expensive and complicated.

I recommend a $70 Manfrotto 293 telephoto lens support. Simple, in stock at Amazon, and it works.

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution
I have had the same question running in my head as I have the 70-210 as well. That Manfrotto looks interesting but the problem I see is the zoom on the Vivitar 70-210 is a push/pull zoom meaning that strap and support would keep you from zooming. It would be a set it and forget it setup. That wouldn't work for me as I need to adjust shots periodically if using the 70-210. You also turn the big zoom grip for focus. Just doesn't seem it would work on the Vivitar model. Rails may cause the same issue. My 70-210 is going to be confined to a static camera so I am hoping just letting it hand out there is not going to damage the lens body.
Philip Hinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2012, 01:44 PM   #8
Major Player

Philip,

I wondered the same thing.

It's hard to tell from the picture on Amazon just how well this support would work with that Vivtar 70-210. It kind of looks like the support is adjustable. Maybe it could be extended a bit so the fixed portion of the lens in front of the sliding zoom ring is resting on the support. (Yeah, there's not much room in front of the ring but it might be enough.)

Or, another option that might work for you (it probably would for me) is to pull the zoom ring in a bit and forego the 70-100 mm zoom range. I'd probably want to use it for the long zoom anyway so this wouldn't be too much of a sacrifice for me.

D
Old February 1st, 2012, 02:02 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Good points. I pulled mine out and it appears there is a small amount of room in front of the lens for the support. Keep in mind that as you turn the focus on the push/pull zoom the end of the barrel moves in and out slightly and also spins. The end is not stationary. It spins as you rotate the zoom ring. Kinda cool for normal shooting but seems it would be a problem with that support. If you get one and try it out let us all know how it works. I would be in line to get one if it does work.
Philip Hinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2012, 08:40 PM   #10
Major Player

I'm thinkin' ;-)

D
Old February 6th, 2012, 03:48 PM   #11
Major Player

I just ran across this review of the Manfrotto 293 lens support device. I found it interesting. Perhaps you will, too.

Manfrotto 293 Telephoto Lens Support Review

D
Old February 10th, 2012, 11:22 AM   #12
Regular Crew

I have the same lens, camera, etc. Since nearly every surface part of this lens has to twist or slide or both, it's difficult to support it without restricting some option or another. My Fotodiox adapter is a touch loose as well, which aggravates the situation even more. I'm using the cobbled together solution in these photos. It's a Really Right Stuff 18" bar with one of their flash brackets under the front 1/4" of the lens (it twists, but only moves back and forth slightly enough that there's no functional interference with the lenses performance). The height of the flash bracket's base is just perfect to provide a little tension against the lens and keep it feeling tight. Your mileage may vary, but I've shot some with it and haven't been terribly displeased. One advantage is, that I have a spot to mount a microphone or another accessory on top of the flash bracket, and the circular part acts as a second "handle." Not too shabby. :)
Attached Thumbnails
How To Support Heavy Lens-lenssupport01.jpg   How To Support Heavy Lens-lenssupport02.jpg  

Old November 26th, 2012, 08:31 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Did anyone end up purchasing the Manfrotto 293 and testing it with the vivitar 70-210mm lens? I am in exactly the same boat.

cheers,
Rich
Richard Tetik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2012, 08:51 PM   #14
Regular Crew

I have also spotted these relatively inexpensive rails by Fotga, which have quick release adjustments on the lens support, so should provide a lot of flexibility for various sized lenses. Has anyone used these previously?

Fotga DP500 Matte Box+15mm Baseplate Rail rod for Canon 5DII D90 600D 60D DSLR | eBay

Cheers,
Rich
Richard Tetik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2012, 11:58 AM   #15
Trustee

I just bought the Fotga rails and I love them. Great build quality for the price. There is an extra bar that can help support heavy lenses and it works very well. The only problem I have with the Fotga is getting at the screw to attach the camera is a bit tricky without a tool or coin. I may add a quick release to that part to make the process a bit easier.

Only only negative is that I now need a bigger bag. lol
Thomas Smet is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series