Anyone cleaned their sensor yet.... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old March 16th, 2012, 10:10 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Anyone cleaned their sensor yet....

Arghhhhhhhh....I was putting the cap on the camera after removing the lens and fumbled with the cap and in the process of trying to grab the cap I stuck my finger on the sensor. Now I have a bug greasy smudge on it. Anyone have any experience cleaning a sensor??

Mark
Mark Slade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2012, 11:42 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Anyone cleaned their sensor yet....

Mark, I don't, but try googling it, I've seen something on this topic before somewhere...
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2012, 06:38 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Do it all the time with a lot of cameras, I used to work in a department that had 10 shooters everyday, I cleaned all the cameras once a week.
In your case I would send the camera to service yourself, because to buy the proper sensor pads and solutuion are going to run you $30-$50 dollars, you need a bit of practice to get just the right swipe and know the correct amount of solution, if you scratch it it's going to cost you $200.
Or look for a local camera shop in your area, should be under $50. If you're a DYI'er buy the stuff and read the 500 pages on the web of how to do it..or if you plan on doing this alot.
Roy Feldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2012, 06:55 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Roy, your advice sound like an excellent short version of everything I've read on the subject! I would vote for taking it to a local camera shop...quick, easy, and hopefully safe.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2012, 06:05 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Feldman View Post
Do it all the time with a lot of cameras, I used to work in a department that had 10 shooters everyday, I cleaned all the cameras once a week.
In your case I would send the camera to service yourself, because to buy the proper sensor pads and solutuion are going to run you $30-$50 dollars, you need a bit of practice to get just the right swipe and know the correct amount of solution, if you scratch it it's going to cost you $200.
Or look for a local camera shop in your area, should be under $50. If you're a DYI'er buy the stuff and read the 500 pages on the web of how to do it..or if you plan on doing this alot.
Is it more difficult than the 7D? I do that when it needs it, but haven't needed to yet with the GH2.
Don Litten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2012, 09:34 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Thanks guys....I had read on the net....just wanted some input from those that might have done it. Don....i would think that a sensor is a sensor....canon or panasonic.
I don't have qualms about DIY. I own several telescopes, both lens and mirror type and I've cleaned sensitive surfaces many times....so I'm not adverse to DIY.

Mark
Mark Slade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2012, 09:37 AM   #7
Major Player

My 9-year old son got his hands on one of my GH2's and plopped a nice fingerprint right on the sensor. It took a couple of sensor swabs to clean it, but they did the job. Now, the Eclipse cleaner and swabs have a dedicated spot in my camera case. Highly recommended!
Aaron Courtney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2012, 01:48 PM   #8
Major Player

this reminds me one of my DSLRs has dust bunnies!!
I've always cleaned my sensors myself, it's like a lot of other things - the more you do it the better you get at it.
It's probably cost effective too as you'll get a kit that'll clean several times over the cost of going to a service place.
Rob Cantwell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series