Power for the GH2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old April 18th, 2012, 10:44 AM   #1
Major Player

Power for the GH2

I have a Redrock rails cage and use it for my "higher end" (meaning non-personal) shoots. Basically beefing up the camera, adding a mattebox and cage to add a bit of functionality and glam to the camera.
I'll be adding either a Tascam or Zoom to the rig as well as a SmallHD 4" monitor. I currently have 18in rails, which are WAY too long, so I'd like to power the whole cage with an Anton Bauer (I already have a few Dionics) Gold Mount.

(Actually, I'd like to lay it flat, rather than up or down, since this is not a hand-held rig)
This will create a reason the rails extend so far back as well as balance the camera, which is currently front-heavy since the only thing on the rails is the mattebox and camera.
My questions is this: How can I get power from the AB mount to my GH2 and Zoom (or Tascam)? Is there an affordable power-converter box that has variable power output that can drive the GH2 and external audio?
If only I could have spent a few days at NAB, I might be able to find out myself and report back here... but... alas, I'm stuck here at work.

Thanks in advance for any and all advice!!!
Matthew Roddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2012, 04:54 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Power for the GH2

Hacksaw.

Cut the rails.

Carry some spare GH2 batteries and AAs for the Tascam/Zoom.

Problem solved... ?
Ben Giles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2012, 10:55 PM   #3
Inner Circle

The Anton thingy may not work if you can't find an adapter for the GH2, but the MyPowerAll can work to power the GH2 for 8 hours or so. I have one like new if you want to buy it make me an offer. I've never used it.

You could also buy a GH2 battery grip to power your cam with two batteries, which is very nice, and affordable also. Search this forum for battery grip and you'll see the link. 2.5 hour or so is better than nothing.

Hope you find a solution.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2012, 12:22 PM   #4
Major Player

Thanks Jeff.

Part of my goal was to implement my existing AB batteries, so buying your MyPowerAll is not the direction I was hoping to head, but I appreciate the potential solution.

Was just hoping for a single power solution to drive the whole rig. Thought that would be slick and keep me from having to own multiple styles of multiple batteries.

Right now I'm looking at combining these items:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/761050-REG/Panasonic_DMW_DCC8_DMW_DCC8_DC_Coupler_for.htmlwith this:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/741389-REG/Anton_Bauer_QR_DSLR_QR_DSLR_Gold_Mount.htmlon top of this:
Redrock Micro - microPod accessory plate
It's a bit expensive, but putting this on my rig would, in theory, be a life-long solution to any camera I put up there.
So...I'm trying to think of this as an investment.
Think-think-think...
Matthew Roddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2012, 06:46 AM   #5
Contributor

Mathew, in case you you have not found your solution yet, we make the DC converter configured specifically for G2 power requirements. Power Lumix
GH2-SL DC Converter [GH2-SL-DC] - $149.95 : Dolgin Engineering, Camera Power Solutions
Low profile at only .6" will take any DC voltage in (12V-25V) while powering the GH2 at 8.9V. Also a slightly bigger XLR4 version of it DC Converter GH2 [DC-8.4-GH2] - $169.95 : Dolgin Engineering, Camera Power Solutions has 2 input jacks - XLR4 and 2.1mm - connected so you could tap to the input power source while powering the GH2 camera.
HTH
http://www.dolgin.net
Alex Dolgin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2012, 04:52 PM   #6
Major Player

Thanks very much, Alex.

Your product looks good, but not quite what I am specifically looking for.
Since cameras come and go, but rails and rigs are "forever," what I was hoping for was/is a variable power supply with multiple outputs.

If I'm permitted to post a link here, this is what I was hoping for:
powerPack for Canon EOS C300 to power camera & accessories from a battery source | mobile power distribution
but about half the cost. Maybe 2/3s the cost? Basically $300 or less (in case you're planning something ;-)
This will power just about any camera and have enough left over to power a monitor or two as well as, say, a remote follow focus (as RR advertises so soundly currently) or an external audio capturing system - or just about anything.
If I'm reading your specs correctly, you'd very comfortably power the GH2, but that's about it with that model.

Please correct me if I'm mistaken.
Matthew Roddy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series