GH2 Colour Banding -especially sky?? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old May 12th, 2012, 10:16 PM   #16
Major Player

Re: GH2 Colour Banding -especially sky??

Thanks for the info and the link(s).
Matthew Roddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2012, 02:06 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Giles View Post
Here's something we just produced for Cathay Pacific. We shot it on a 5DMkII and GH2.
Cathay Pacific In-flight film: Working Towards A Sustainable Future on Vimeo
Ben,

Wonderful video! I hope to get to the point where I can someday list a major airline as one of my clients. (I am so curious how you get and pitch a job like that)

But my main question to you was how you lit the girl walking at 1:06. Was your light source moving at the pace of the subject? Litepanel on a boom pole? I know it's off topic, but perhaps you could share your production technique for that shot.

Thanks,
Angelo
Old May 14th, 2012, 02:59 PM   #18
Major Player

You're an interesting fellow Ben!
Don Litten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2012, 05:20 PM   #19
Regular Crew

But my main question to you was how you lit the girl walking at 1:06. Was your light source moving at the pace of the subject?

Angelo, I'd love to say we had a full set of HMIs, gaffers and a catering van. But actually, we filmed this with a cheap ($40 from Amazon) hand-held flat panel LED light directly in front, keeping pace. We used a regular airport luggage trolley to track. While holding the light, I also recorded sound (boom and lapel) and directed.

We did the whole thing on a very low budget in 4 days with two people (plus a friend who came out for the final 2 days to push trolleys, carry kit etc.) The aerials were shot by some crazy Russians in a military plane on 35mm.

Even the biggest brands have the tightest budgets now and this kind of technology, combined with a few old-fashioned tricks, is capable of extraordinary stuff.

But if there's one thing I think is getting constantly overlooked these days, it's the skill of editing. Editing brought that film alive. It's my biggest issue as a potential employer of youngsters at the moment - I just can't find anyone remotely skilled or interested in editing.

If you're under 30 and reading this, put your camera down and go and hang out in a cutting room with a skilled practitioner. Learn how to edit, how to craft, how to juxtapose with a lightness of touch or you will be driving a taxi by the time you are 40.

God, I'm such an old fart and I'm only 41 (getting some tempting offers from my local cab firms, though...:-)

Ben.
Ben Giles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2012, 04:26 AM   #20
Major Player

I had to come into the city last night for an appointment today (Our farm is about a hundred miles away) so I took the opportunity to get some night footage,

One thing that I noticed about the thing is that I had to be careful when I exposed to the highlights by eye. It tends to brighten things up in the viewfinder, Setting the diopter by using the data fields in the display works pretty well but I found myself looking through the camera once in a while just to double check.

I'm pretty happy with it so far.

Ben, to go Off Topic again, you said:
If you're under 30 and reading this, put your camera down and go and hang out in a cutting room with a skilled practitioner. Learn how to edit, how to craft, how to juxtapose with a lightness of touch or you will be driving a taxi by the time you are 40.

God, I'm such an old fart and I'm only 41 (getting some tempting offers from my local cab firms, though...:-)

Ben.

I had to laugh!
I'm a good bit older than you are.
For the sake of the younger fellows here, Imagine being born before most rural people had electricity, not having Television and when we did get one, one very poor channel.

High tech was when I got a Nikon, no Meter Head and for those tricky shots, a hand held light meter. Winding your own 400 ASA B&W film from a bulk roll in the dark room then printing contact sheets just to see what you got and what you want to print....then developing the individual prints one at a time using an enlarger, three developing trays (I couldn't do color on the old Durst F30) then either hanging them after washing or putting them in a dryer, face side down for gloss, up for matt.

Then all of a sudden being thrown into the digital world, not once but over and over every time there were major changes in computer technology.

Then taking up VIDEO and having to learn a whole new trade.

I am sitting here struggling with Premier Pro because I left Avid and thinking about Ben's post and just how old I am and how much the industry has changed.
Don Litten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2012, 01:40 PM   #21
Regular Crew

Sorry Don - didn't mean to provoke an existential crisis.

Ben.
Ben Giles is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series