Latest AVCHD Transcoding solutions - how are you doing it? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old June 14th, 2012, 06:15 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Re: Latest AVCHD Transcoding solutions - how are you doing it?

I use toast 10 titanium to convert to prores
It loads and processes just fine up to 32 gb
Lately audio started to get out of sync for 6 frames in end prores files, but that's fixable
Alex Khachatryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2012, 06:31 PM   #17
Major Player

William, I think you will find atomos and GH2 won't go together, something to do with the HDMI out format. There was a discussion here a while ago. Although atomos does record in pro-res, there is a compatability issue with GH2's output.
Back to the original thread, putting 80 minutes of 5 layers of AVCHD from 5 Mark 2's sounds like a huge job plus I thought they only did 12 minutes in a run, so a nightmare to synch.
Chris Duczynski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2012, 12:29 AM   #18
Regular Crew

We stagger when we turn over and shoot separate audience cutaways as a "get out of jail free" for the odd occasion when all 5 shots coincidentally don't work - fairly rare, and I find 4 or 5 cams the sweet spot for small venue gigs like this.

We have an assistant who takes cards and transcodes on a laptop and the remaining files are processed on the train on the way home.

It's not an ideal way of working and we much prefer to do a live switch with isos - but we've learned a lot along the way and knocked a few months off our lives in the process...

Ben.
Ben Giles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2012, 05:57 AM   #19
Inner Circle

Yikes! Perhaps you should get at least one GH2 as a cover camera as it will not shut off after 12 minutes. When I would shoot boxing events years ago with iso cameras and we couldn't get timecode on all the cameras, we would start at the beginning of each match and stop soon after the winner was declared so to make it easier to hold sync during edits and control when tapes were changed. What's a small venue where you are? Here in NYC, five cameras would occupy half the audience in some places!

The Atmos works with 30p on the GH2 and perhaps 25p, it's the 24p output that is wonky and not usable.
Old June 15th, 2012, 06:31 AM   #20
Regular Crew

We've bought 2 GH2s in the last few months and have used the hack just to extend recording times - just got caught out on the recent conference job we did which then took an entire weekend to transcode (simply because Compressor and 5DtoRGB were both crashing/hanging.)

Clipwrap has been bought...

Ben.
Old June 17th, 2012, 12:13 AM   #21
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Giles View Post
Valid answers, but I'm interested to know what kind of stuff you're cutting.

We do quite a lot of live music events - often 5 iso cameras because we can't get a switcher in there and the get in/out is tight. We shot a recent one with a UK artist called Ed Sheeran, 5 x 5DIIs and the final piece was 80 mins long. We had 24 hours to travel 350 miles, cut it, grade and caption, output to ProRes (one of our deliverables) and compress that down to a 5Mbps 720P web deliverable.

Thankfully we have 100 Meg broadband, as we tend to have to deliver this stuff right to the wire and the contract stipulates we don't get paid if it's not on the client's server by 5pm the next day.

This is one of the reasons I don't think it's as simple as "chuck it straight into Premiere" - maybe for short-form stuff it's fine, but long-form cutting with 5 layers plus captions and a basic grade? There's quite a lot at stake if we get this wrong and a ProRes workflow still feels like the lowest risk approach. It would just be good to get AVCHD material into the system more quickly.

Ben.

Ah, you have some pretty difficult circumstances there. Though I'm curious now as to the capabilities of premiere with such a workload. It might be surprising depending on the system.
It would seem if you could avoid the initial prores ritual it would really save a lot of time.
James Palanza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2012, 08:44 AM   #22
Inner Circle

Ben, I must say I am confused about which cameras/codecs you are referring to in the thread. 5DMKIIs or GH2s?

The 5DMKII does not shoot AVCHD while the GH2 does. Are you looking to switch from using 5DMKIIs or did I misread and you are using 5 - GH2s?

In any event, I am guessing you are tied to the Apple platform? Because in the quick turnaround situation you are working in, I would suggest a look at Edius. This is where Edius is strongest, high quality & quick turnaround. A lot of same day edit folks use Edius.

Sorry to offer a PC option but AVCHD is a native format for Edius. Meaning put the original clip on the timeline, do your primary & secondary color correction and it still plays back in realtime. When your cut is finished you export. Simple. The multicam is great as well.
Tim Polster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2012, 12:28 PM   #23
Regular Crew

Tim.

Sorry for the confusion - I have a couple of GH2s that I'd like to use more, but I used the shoot with 5DIIs as way of an example of the tight deadlines we often have to work with. With our recent transcoding workflow, we'd never be able to deliver an AVCHD multicam shoot with that timeline.

We have an entirely Mac setup.

Thanks,

Ben.
Old June 19th, 2012, 04:44 PM   #24
Inner Circle

Both cameras shoot h.264/MPEG4 and wrap them in in their own ways, Panasonic in the MTS file format and Canon in the MOV format. Neither play well with Final Cut 7 without rewrapping or transcoding.

Importing GH2 footage into Final Cut X is very quick (and I would assume the same with the 5D) and I suggest you experiment with it with a project that has already been completed. Try importing the raw files vs. having "optimize media" checked in terms of time saved. The multi cam function in X is very, very good although I think a laptop would choke on 5 cameras in AVCHD but I could be wrong. You have it, try it, the program is way better than the bad press would lead you to believe.
Old June 20th, 2012, 09:37 PM   #25
Regular Crew

I've been following this thread and as a recent GH2 puchaser, I am more than a little bit intimidated by all the chatter about AVCHD. Plus, it sounds like you're all on Macs, except maybe for Tim Polster (Edius is PC only, if I'm not mistaken) and I'm on a PC still running PP CS4. Unlike you heavyweights, shooting is my second job and can't quite afford the jump up to CS 6. The only saving grace is a fairly strong computer with an i7 CPU and 16 gigs of memory, and a decent video card. But you mateys are scaring the bejeezus out of me, so I'll stay tuned for any suggestions you may have! ;-)

Cheers!
Rule #1: Don't sweat the small stuff. Rule #2: It's ALL small stuff!
Terry Wall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2012, 07:13 AM   #26
Inner Circle

Nothing to be scared about. Mr. Giles is working in an exceptional situation where the recording codec becomes an issue to consider. Your computer is fine for all sorts of editing with AVCHD however I would suggest that you look beyond PP CS4 as my experience is that Premier really became a great program with CS5. There are a number of decent low cost PC editing programs that have been updated recently and will leverage your computer's capabilities. Perhaps someone with more experience with these programs can give their opinion.
Old June 21st, 2012, 03:21 PM   #27
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Giles View Post
This is one of the reasons I don't think it's as simple as "chuck it straight into Premiere" - maybe for short-form stuff it's fine, but long-form cutting with 5 layers plus captions and a basic grade?.
I have a I7 950 and can edit multicam with 4 layers of canon dslr 1080p footage native in edius 6 including grading, works with no issue, only when I add a 5th layer it stutters. Also exporting 4 layers multicam of graded dslr to a 1080p file takes 20 minutes for 1 hour of footage into canopus own hq avi codec and about 25 minutes if i would convert to a 720p/25mbs file. Edius was build for heavy multicam lifting and it can do all that without without any advanced gpu support or even having to be 64bit. I"m pretty sure that a recent cpu will handle 5 dslr streams with ease considering my cpu is allready ancient.
Noa Put is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series