Just ordered the 14-140 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old June 11th, 2012, 10:46 AM   #1
Major Player

Just ordered the 14-140

I was looking at one of Ian's video's yesterday, using the Panasonic 14-140....and it was great. Granted he's very talented but he couldn't do it with the kit lens I have.

It fills the niche I have for an af/ae lens. I love my manual exposure and usually use a camcorder when I need Auto, but at times, it would be handy to use the GH2,

All the reviews look good.
Don Litten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2012, 01:45 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Just ordered the 14-140

It's a good, workhorse lens. A little dark for theatrical work, a wider DOF than you might like for beauty shots (of course you can always get that with the zoom) but great for most situations. You might be interested in the DMW-ZL1 Zoom Lever attachment, I certainly am happy that I put one on my lens which arrives rather stiff out of the box.
Old June 11th, 2012, 03:18 PM   #3
Inner Circle

In the right light it's a nice lens. I kept mine for about a week, it just couldn't cut it indoors for event work, which is primarily what I do. On the other hand I just sold a 18-50mm F/2.8 for the same reason, and there are plenty of folks who make F/2.8 work where I cannot, so I suppose I'm a bad one to talk to about it. The fast primes just have me so spoiled I can't work with anything less than F/2.0 anymore.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2012, 04:36 PM   #4
Major Player

Thanks Guys!
I have fast wide primes already and most of what I do is outdoors. This will hopefully keep me from carrying 4 or 5 lenses with me.

William, I just ordered the Zoom Lever...Thanks!

Jeff, I'm as bad as you but I have primes as fast as 1 1/8 so that's covered.

I wonder if there's a market for the 14-45 (Which I don't have much good to say about)
Old June 15th, 2012, 05:50 PM   #5
Major Player

Don the 14-45 Lumix is a much sought after lens, especially compared to the 14-42. Those I have seen as of late have been selling in the low $200s range and selling fast when offered.
Chip Thome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2012, 04:14 PM   #6
Major Player

I've gotta say I'm impressed so far. The focus is lightening fast given enough light and contrast and silent.
The Stabilization works well and it's tack shark.

The zoom ring is a little stiff but I got the zoom lever today. I haven't had a chance to try it but it should help.

At $500.00 I didn't expect it to be as nice as it is. That was a pleasant surprise.
Old June 17th, 2012, 12:46 PM   #7
Trustee

I really wish I had one this weekend. Switching between the 14 to 42 and 45 to 200 was a major pain. The 14 to 140 seems like a nice balance between the two considering all three are pretty dark. I would miss the little extra reach but the flexibility would have been worth a lot to me for the shoot I was doing. If I could keep shooting while I switched lenses it might not be so bad but even then always carrying around 2 or three lenses is a major pain for quick run and gun shoots.

Debating if I should get a 14 to 140 or upgrade from my GH1 to a GH2 instead. I know a GH3 will be out soon but I don't want to pay full price for the GH3 and don't want to wait six months for it to actually be in stock somewhere.
Thomas Smet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2012, 01:02 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Litten View Post
I've gotta say I'm impressed so far. The focus is lightening fast given enough light and contrast and silent.
The Stabilization works well and it's tack shark.

The zoom ring is a little stiff but I got the zoom lever today. I haven't had a chance to try it but it should help.

At $500.00 I didn't expect it to be as nice as it is. That was a pleasant surprise.
Hey, Don, where did you get the 14 - 140 for 500 bucks? Best price I've seen is $629 (@ B&H).

Tee
Rule #1: Don't sweat the small stuff. Rule #2: It's ALL small stuff!
Terry Wall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2012, 01:10 PM   #9
Major Player

It's a great lens. I love it. Why not trade in your GH1 with the 14-42 and keep the 45-200? New GH1s with the 14-42 are going for

- maybe you can get $500 for the GH1 and use it toward a GH2 kit with the 14-140 --

which has a 30 day return policy.

Cheers,

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution
Bill Bruner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2012, 06:50 PM   #10
Major Player

Thomas I am just like you, still sitting on my GH1. It does everything I need it to do. I dumped my Nikon stuff earlier this year and took those funds and invested in Lumix glass for my GH1. I am getting stuff from my Panny set up I could only dream of from the Nikon. I also looked at the glass I have invested in as it will go forward with me. We leave bodies behind.....glass we buy for the long haul !!! :-)

Good luck on your decision !!!
Old June 18th, 2012, 03:28 AM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Wall View Post
Hey, Don, where did you get the 14 - 140 for 500 bucks? Best price I've seen is $629 (@ B&H).

Tee
Amazon!

Old June 18th, 2012, 04:13 PM   #12
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip Thome View Post
I am getting stuff from my Panny set up I could only dream of from the Nikon.
Just curious, Chip. Why do you think that is?

Could it be because of better portability?

Ease of physical handling.

I just changed over from Canon 7D and Rebels, some "L" glass, over to Olympus E-P3 and GH2's for smaller gear and lighter "stuff". I find a "pound" of lenses goes a lot further. I have equipment with me more often and photography is more fun again.

And I don't feel like I've given up anything in sharpness or image quality.

Bruce
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2012, 06:24 PM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Foreman View Post
Just curious, Chip. Why do you think that is?

Bruce
Hi Bruce,

I am under the belief that Panny has some correction/sharpening/super wowy stuff going on in the body, when paired with a Lumix lens. I have owned and tried the 7-14, the 8mm, the 25, the 45, the 14-140, the 45-200, the 100-300 as well as the 14-42X. The closet any has been to CA was some "tinting" on the edges with the 7-14 and maybe the 8mm. I could not even call it CA, as there was no distinct edge as other lenses gave me on both the Nikon and my GH1. Also, the day the 45 arrived, I was excited to see how good it was. I unboxed, installed, walked to the front door, stuck the cam out the door and pushed the button. It was just that fast and with just that much preparation. I had said back then and still do, that I would have kissed someone's #$% to have gotten something of that quality out of the Nikon !!! So I don't know how much of this is software, or how much is glass, or how much is sensor, or OIS but I sure know it's not the shooter !!! :-) I don't think it's any single component as much as it is all designed to be working together in unison.
Old June 19th, 2012, 03:00 PM   #14
Major Player

Chip...I agree 100%.
I get images out of the GH2 with my 100-400L lens, for instance, that my 7D couldn't touch.

I get unbelievable images from Legacy primes and what I;m getting with the 14-140 in good light is wonderful.

Panasonic has some Voodoo going on in that body.
Don Litten is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series