Boy oh boy! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old August 3rd, 2012, 04:56 PM   #1
Major Player

Boy oh boy!

I just got through testing this:

Rokinon 85mm F1.4 Aspherical Lens

Built like a tank, fast, sharp as a tack and less than 300 bucks!
Don Litten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2012, 12:36 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Boy oh boy!

Welcome to the Rok family !!! :-)

I have heard others say it was way under priced and I agree, it's under priced by close to half. I personally think it was a marketing ploy to price it at that to get people to look at the brand. Rokinon sure figured out how to charge as soon as they introduced the rest of their lineup !!! :-)
Chip Thome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2012, 01:16 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Here they are called "Samyang" and the 85mm is also one of my favorites to get close-ups from guests at weddings (I use a 550d with a 1.6 cropfactor)
I also think they priced the 85mm that low to get attention, the 35mm which I also got is not that sharp wide open, it gets softer at f1.4 but nevertheless a very good lens for closeups with shallow dof.
Only disadvantage with the 85mm is that the minimal distance you can focus on is often too wide so you need to keep your distance.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2012, 08:34 AM   #4
Inner Circle

The lens is well known as as best buy for a third party lens, as-is the Sigma 50mm F/1.4, two of the best values out there.

I had a 85mm F/1.2L lens from Canon that was also very nice, but it was much too hard to work with for weddings. The DOF on the lenses is huge, and at an effective 170mm I just didn't get the use out of my lens I would have liked. It ended up as a novelty for me and I sold it. Great lens though, especially if you have a use for them.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2012, 02:27 PM   #5
Major Player

Almost everything I do benefits from a longer lens Jeff...(One of many reasons I don't do weddings),

Hopefully I can get a profile using the 85mm in the GH2, to match up with the AC130. I'm rapidly falling in love with that thing.
Don Litten is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series