X Vario lenses - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old August 15th, 2012, 12:03 AM   #16
Regular Crew

Re: X Vario lenses

I have just bought the Panasonic Lumix X Vario 12-35mm F2.8 ASPH Power O.I.S. Yes, there is nirvana. I have been very excited about two new lenses from Panasonic. One of them has been introduced and it is just now becoming available in the US. It has not been left off of the camera. I have to say this is one of the best lenses for video there is for any platform.

Being a video guy who likes to take stills, this lens fills a big gap for me. I have wanted a F2.8, O.I.S. wide lens for shooting video. O.I.S. really combats the shakes and helps eliminate rolling shutter. Being a zoom is a plus, or should I say variable prime. I wanted that on my Canon but never really found it. I liked the EFS 17-55 F2.8 IS but it was large, heavy, not ruggedized or weather sealed. My search is over.

I have to say it has ben worth the wait. This lens will get a lot of use by me. Panasonic pulled out all the stops one this one. It is as good as we thought it might be. What more could you ask for? Some are saying the price is to high, but this is a “luxury” lens like the one from the other guys. Their’s is much bigger, heavier and expensive. What we got for that expense is a lens that bring MicroFourThirds into the big leagues with it professionalism.

I have done a video review of the lens.
No Need To Resist – The Panasonic Lumix X Vario 12-35mm F2.8 ASPH. » FrugalFilmmakers.com
Old August 21st, 2012, 02:31 PM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Hohauser View Post
The Oly 12-50 has some very positive user reviews for it's power zoom mechanism which more than I can say about the Panasonic zoom mechanism. Unfortunately it does not have OIS which is a hindrance for handheld video work.
Even if you use this (or any other power zoom lens) on legs, how hard is it to zoom without moving the cam? I'm not familiar with how big the zoom buttons are. Can someone with non-petite fingers operate them without moving the camera?

D
Dennis Vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2012, 08:46 PM   #18
Trustee

Alan, thank you for the review. The 12-35mm looks amazing for the type of work I do. Can I ask, did you add a vignette filter to the footage of your garden and backyard? It seems as if the corners are quite soft, and dark for that matter, so wondering if that's a characteristic of the lens or something that got added in post. Thanks!
Old August 24th, 2012, 11:06 PM   #19
Regular Crew

No. I think the vignette was caused by a cheap ND filter. The lens does have some vignetting on the wide end.

Here is another video with the lens. No ND.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate Haustein View Post
Alan, thank you for the review. The 12-35mm looks amazing for the type of work I do. Can I ask, did you add a vignette filter to the footage of your garden and backyard? It seems as if the corners are quite soft, and dark for that matter, so wondering if that's a characteristic of the lens or something that got added in post. Thanks!
Old August 25th, 2012, 12:10 PM   #20
Trustee

Aha, much better. Looking at the trees in the corners of the shots proves its all pretty crispy! Then again, I'm just going to add a vignette in post anyways.... :)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series