Memory card too slow at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old October 16th, 2012, 09:30 PM   #1
Major Player

Memory card too slow

I tried to record 24P video with my GH2 I have a 32 GB Patriot LX Series Class 10 memory card. After 3-5 second, recording stop and I have a message showing memory card is too slow. Weill, I ordered a Transcend 64GB Class 10 card after I read a few recommendation here on this forum, but no luck. Same thing happen. After 3-5 second recording stop and I get a same message: Memory card too slow.
My camera have a problem? Or I need to do something in the setup? I'll go tomorrow and I'll purchase a Sandisk Ultra II memory card and I'll try again. But I read here, this card post to work.I just find it out with my 20mm f1.7 pancake lens, I don't have any issues. Soonest I put back my 14-140mm, the problem start again. Weird....Anybody?
Thanks

Last edited by Laszlo Horvath; October 16th, 2012 at 10:44 PM.
Laszlo Horvath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2012, 08:50 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Memory card too slow

Are you using hacked firmware? If so, which hack?

I use the Transcend cards as well with FlowMotion v2 and the 14-140 and have not had a problem. This problem will arise when using "Apocalypse Now" or one of the other very high bitrate hacks.

Lumix lenses tend to trigger these issues more easily because they communicate more with the camera; in the 14-140's case, its OIS and zoom data feed more info for the camera to compute. The P20 lacks these features and thus doesn't feed as much data. Legacy lenses on dumb adapters have the least chance of triggering these problems, as they transmit no information to the camera.
Old October 17th, 2012, 01:41 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Kevin.
I use OSGFILMS hack. Finally I found the right SDHX card, Lexar Professional 400 or Sandisk Extreme. With these two I can recording 24H quality. My Transend working only 24L. Honestly, I just want to go back to original Panasonic firmware, but I don;t know how. With this OSG firmware my max recording time with 64GB card is 1 hr. 40 mints.
How can I go back to orig. firmware. I downloaded from Panasonic, but because I have a newer version, I can't.
Thanks
Laszlo Horvath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2012, 10:39 PM   #4
Major Player

Laszlo.... you have to load the firmware into Ptool, check the "version compare" box but do not adjust any of the settings or add a hack to it. This should give you as close to factory firmware as you can get now. From my tests you can not go back to purely virgin Panasonic firmware, once you use Ptool.

Good luck with it.
Chip Thome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2012, 06:17 AM   #5
Major Player

Thanks Chip!

In the main time I figured out after searching on lots of different sites. I learned how adjust the custom firmware, so I reloaded back the hacked firmware, but I changed the 24H and 24L for 50MB/sec and 35 MB/sec. This way even my Patriot class 10 can do all. Regardless, I ended up with Lexar Professional 400 card, some reason I liked better than the Sandisc Extreme.
Now, I learning haw use focusing etc. After 21 years with professional shoulder camcorders (except my EX1) it's a challenge to learn to use a DSLR camera with different lenses.
My biggest surprise was last night, when I made several shoots with my EX1 and compared with the GH2 (hacked firmware) with the 20mm f1.7 lens in same lowlight situation in my studio. The GH2's picture with auto ISO was much more "dynamic" more contrasty, overall more clearer, more usable. The EX1's was washed out with 9 gain and with higher gain was even more washed out. I start to love the GH2.
But I need LOTS of "exercise" with it before I'll use in real event. Unfortunately I don't have any more jobs this year to try in action.
Thanks again.
Laszlo Horvath is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series