DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-s-g-gf-gh-gx-series/)
-   -   GH3: Arizona Biltmore Resort (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-s-g-gf-gh-gx-series/512634-gh3-arizona-biltmore-resort.html)

Dan Carter December 9th, 2012 05:07 PM

GH3: Arizona Biltmore Resort

This location was chosen because the unique architectural patterns caused aliasing & moire even in projects using a Panasonic 3 chip video cam. In this project, with the GH3, I see nothing to be overly concerned about relative to aliasing & moire. Other than one camera lockup using HDR, and 3 or 4 apparent firmware issues, the GH3 performed nicely.

Similar project with GH2 is here: vimeo.com/28287141

Panasonic DMC-GH3
Lumix X 12-35 f2.8
B+W polarizer
FHD/60p 50 Mbps (Not All-I)
Vivid +1 Saturation, +1 Sharpening
Slow clip Frame Rate 40%

Bill Bruner December 9th, 2012 11:26 PM

Re: GH3: Arizona Biltmore Resort

Great work, Dan - as usual. Thanks for posting.

Bill

Ronald Jackson December 10th, 2012 01:07 AM

Alright, I'm convinced! Just need to scrape the dosh together after scraping it for a forthcoming MacBook Pro.

My needs are for wildlife filming, need something a bit lighter than my current old XLH1/nanoFlash/Monitor/Rods/Follow Focus etc etc outfit.

GH3 with a 100-300 or maybe an EF adapter for my EF lenses if I can find one. "Extra-Tele" of course which I'm assuming/hoping will provide some extra high quality "cropping "when needed.

Ron

Leon Kolenda December 10th, 2012 01:18 PM

Hey Dan, Very nice scenes a good sample and balance of different shots, I like what I'm seeing very promising. I did notice one thing though, there seems to be what I would call a sharpening Halo around the edges of most trees, bushes, and mountains, especially where they meet the sky? Do you see that? I noticed that you have the sharpening set at +1 Could you shoot some footage with more of a flatter file out of the cameraa, and then maybe the same footage with sharpening done in post, so as to compare against the sharpening you set in the GH3? Great footage.

Leon

Dan Carter December 10th, 2012 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Bruner (Post 1767294)
Great work, Dan - as usual. Thanks for posting.

Bill

Thanks for the encouraging words Bill.

And thank you for watching.

Dan Carter December 10th, 2012 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ronald Jackson (Post 1767302)
Alright, I'm convinced! Just need to scrape the dosh together after scraping it for a forthcoming MacBook Pro.

My needs are for wildlife filming, need something a bit lighter than my current old XLH1/nanoFlash/Monitor/Rods/Follow Focus etc etc outfit.

GH3 with a 100-300 or maybe an EF adapter for my EF lenses if I can find one. "Extra-Tele" of course which I'm assuming/hoping will provide some extra high quality "cropping "when needed.

Ron

I'm happy to hear the project was useful to you Ron. Good luck with your purchase.

Dan Carter December 10th, 2012 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon Kolenda (Post 1767373)
Hey Dan, Very nice scenes a good sample and balance of different shots, I like what I'm seeing very promising. I did notice one thing though, there seems to be what I would call a sharpening Halo around the edges of most trees, bushes, and mountains, especially where they meet the sky? Do you see that? I noticed that you have the sharpening set at +1 Could you shoot some footage with more of a flatter file out of the cameraa, and then maybe the same footage with sharpening done in post, so as to compare against the sharpening you set in the GH3? Great footage.

Leon

Thank you for the good words and close look Leon.

I believe we may be seeing the typical dried edges of most Arizona plant-life after months of no significant rain. Especially in the palms and pines. I've checked reference photos taken during the project which display the same issue.

I'll be working on a similar project in several weeks, and will let you know of any significant finding.