GH3: Arizona Biltmore Resort at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old December 9th, 2012, 05:07 PM   #1
Major Player

GH3: Arizona Biltmore Resort

This location was chosen because the unique architectural patterns caused aliasing & moire even in projects using a Panasonic 3 chip video cam. In this project, with the GH3, I see nothing to be overly concerned about relative to aliasing & moire. Other than one camera lockup using HDR, and 3 or 4 apparent firmware issues, the GH3 performed nicely.

Similar project with GH2 is here: vimeo.com/28287141

Panasonic DMC-GH3
Lumix X 12-35 f2.8
B+W polarizer
FHD/60p 50 Mbps (Not All-I)
Vivid +1 Saturation, +1 Sharpening
Slow clip Frame Rate 40%
Old December 9th, 2012, 11:26 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: GH3: Arizona Biltmore Resort

Great work, Dan - as usual. Thanks for posting.

Bill
Bill Bruner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2012, 01:07 AM   #3
Major Player

Alright, I'm convinced! Just need to scrape the dosh together after scraping it for a forthcoming MacBook Pro.

My needs are for wildlife filming, need something a bit lighter than my current old XLH1/nanoFlash/Monitor/Rods/Follow Focus etc etc outfit.

GH3 with a 100-300 or maybe an EF adapter for my EF lenses if I can find one. "Extra-Tele" of course which I'm assuming/hoping will provide some extra high quality "cropping "when needed.

Ron
Ronald Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2012, 01:18 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Hey Dan, Very nice scenes a good sample and balance of different shots, I like what I'm seeing very promising. I did notice one thing though, there seems to be what I would call a sharpening Halo around the edges of most trees, bushes, and mountains, especially where they meet the sky? Do you see that? I noticed that you have the sharpening set at +1 Could you shoot some footage with more of a flatter file out of the cameraa, and then maybe the same footage with sharpening done in post, so as to compare against the sharpening you set in the GH3? Great footage.

Leon
Leon Kolenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2012, 04:37 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bruner View Post
Great work, Dan - as usual. Thanks for posting.

Bill
Thanks for the encouraging words Bill.

And thank you for watching.
Old December 10th, 2012, 04:38 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald Jackson View Post
Alright, I'm convinced! Just need to scrape the dosh together after scraping it for a forthcoming MacBook Pro.

My needs are for wildlife filming, need something a bit lighter than my current old XLH1/nanoFlash/Monitor/Rods/Follow Focus etc etc outfit.

GH3 with a 100-300 or maybe an EF adapter for my EF lenses if I can find one. "Extra-Tele" of course which I'm assuming/hoping will provide some extra high quality "cropping "when needed.

Ron
I'm happy to hear the project was useful to you Ron. Good luck with your purchase.
Old December 10th, 2012, 04:43 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon Kolenda View Post
Hey Dan, Very nice scenes a good sample and balance of different shots, I like what I'm seeing very promising. I did notice one thing though, there seems to be what I would call a sharpening Halo around the edges of most trees, bushes, and mountains, especially where they meet the sky? Do you see that? I noticed that you have the sharpening set at +1 Could you shoot some footage with more of a flatter file out of the cameraa, and then maybe the same footage with sharpening done in post, so as to compare against the sharpening you set in the GH3? Great footage.

Leon
Thank you for the good words and close look Leon.

I believe we may be seeing the typical dried edges of most Arizona plant-life after months of no significant rain. Especially in the palms and pines. I've checked reference photos taken during the project which display the same issue.

I'll be working on a similar project in several weeks, and will let you know of any significant finding.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series