Old lens to use with the GH3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old January 9th, 2013, 11:11 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Old lens to use with the GH3

Hello All,
I am planing to buy the Panasonic GH3 whenever it becomes available. I have researched lenses specific to the camera and have determined which of those to buy. My question, however, is what can I do with my Canon manual 14x zoom lens for the XL1- XL2 camcorder? I know that I held onto this gear too long (XL1 camcorder). If I can find a buyer for this gear, I will sell it. But that 14x lens is just about brand new. Is there anyway to reasonably adapt it to use with the GH3? Or should I just let it go? Appreciate all your input.
Aletha Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2013, 02:59 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Old lens to use with the GH3

I expect it would vignette quite severely. I guess you could have one made with the idea of using it in ETC mode?
Old January 10th, 2013, 04:09 AM   #3
Major Player

Hi Aletha - Adrian is probably right. It would almost certainly vignette. Sadly, even if your could find or make an adapter, your XL1 lens is designed to cover a 1/3" sensor - which is much smaller than the sensor area of the GH3's micro 4/3 sensor - and even smaller than the portion of the sensor used by the Extended Tele Converter (ETC) mode:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-ilHAFynRQX...comparison.jpg

Probably a good idea to sell the XL1 and the lens as a package.

Congrats on the decision to buy the GH3!

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution
Bill Bruner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2013, 12:28 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Adrian and Bill, thanks so much for taking the time to answer my question. I always start out feeling apprehensive asking what I believe are silly questions;but, when I receive such helpful and insightful information and encouragement, I know I belong to the right community. I'll sell it all! I am excited to get that GH3; and, you can be sure I'll be back for more information.

Once again, I appreciate your help.

Aletha
Old January 11th, 2013, 07:15 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Aletha, seems a shame to sell it, if it's still in good condition, but I imagine that it could be a bit of an experiment to get use of it with a GH3. Best of luck.
Old January 12th, 2013, 10:01 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Oh yeah, Adrian, that 14x lens is next to new; that's why it was killing me not to get better use of it. I dare say I didn't get any return on value. But, I don't possess the expertise to manage or know the issues that would result from trying to use it on GH3.

Thanks again,
Aletha
Old January 13th, 2013, 07:36 PM   #7
Major Player

I think in ETC mode you're at or about a 1/2" chip or 2/3" chip, which means you'd still get some vignetting with the XL1 lens even in ETC mode.

You can use a 2/3" ENG lens on the GH3 in ETC mode, or if the lens has a 2x (doubler) it'll cover the entire sensor. The adapters for 2/3" B4 lenses to m43 are easy to come by (ebay, etc).
Old January 16th, 2013, 12:54 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aletha Jones View Post
Hello All,
I am planing to buy the Panasonic GH3 whenever it becomes available. I have researched lenses specific to the camera and have determined which of those to buy. My question, however, is what can I do with my Canon manual 14x zoom lens for the XL1- XL2 camcorder? I know that I held onto this gear too long (XL1 camcorder). If I can find a buyer for this gear, I will sell it. But that 14x lens is just about brand new. Is there anyway to reasonably adapt it to use with the GH3? Or should I just let it go? Appreciate all your input.
Well you just may have an option coming shortly, Take a read on this just might be the ticket.
Metabones - Home

Pretty wild stuff!
Leon Kolenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2013, 07:48 AM   #9
Regular Crew

The Metabones adapter won't work for lenses which were intended for a smaller format.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series