Please Help Me with GH3 Menu at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old January 24th, 2013, 11:23 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Please Help Me with GH3 Menu

I have tried messing with the camera and reading the manual. I am having the hardest time setting the camera to all the settings I desire. Can someone please help explain what I need to do within the menu/dials to achieve the following?

For Run-N-Gun style shooting I do, it is nearly impossible to manually handle SS, Aperature, ISO, and Focus. I'm going to need to sacrifice at least one manual setting. In a perfect world, I would like the following:

1) I would like the ability to have the camera "auto" focus but still have the ability to manually overide. In the AFF/AFS/ACC settings, nothing changes when I turn the focus dial on the lens, even with the shutter pressed halfway. I don't want the camera to constantly "search" for focus, either. I want it to find a spot and stay there unless I manually overide it. I think AFF is what I want, but I'm having trouble with the override part.

2) I would like the abilty to manually control SS and Aperature, but have Auto ISO set with a maximum of 6400. I am working with the "Scenery" Picture Mode for Video to reduce noise since I shoot in a lot of low-light conditions. It seems in "Movie M" mode, Auto ISO is not an option!
Ian Atkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2013, 07:03 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Please Help Me with GH3 Menu

1) I like to use spot focus. You do this by turning in the motion picture menu continuous autofocus off. When you slightly press the shutter button the camera will focus, so I am able to focus when I want to, not when the camera wants to. I do most of my focusing this way even for interviews.

2)For manual mode, I would set your camera with Shutter Priority mode, that way you can control the shutter speed but you still will have Auto Iso available. It is not available in manual mode.
Old February 3rd, 2013, 10:53 AM   #3
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Atkins View Post

1) I would like the ability to have the camera "auto" focus but still have the ability to manually overide. In the AFF/AFS/ACC settings, nothing changes when I turn the focus dial on the lens, even with the shutter pressed halfway. I don't want the camera to constantly "search" for focus, either. I want it to find a spot and stay there unless I manually overide it. I think AFF is what I want, but I'm having trouble with the override part.
Set AFS (autofocus single - one operation per "press"), set MF+ASSIST to "ON", and I would turn CONTINUOUS AUTOFOCUS to "OFF". I can't remember offhand if there is a separate FOCUS ASSIST setting but if there is set that to "ON".

This is the way I have both my GH2s and my GH3 configured. A half press of the shutter button gives me one autofocus operation and if I hold that half press and just barely begin to turn the focus ring the magnified "FOCUS ASSIST" kicks in and I can "refine" focus if necessary (and this is how I get around the critical "eye position" issue with the GH3 for some of us eyeglass wearers).

If you turn the focus mode switch to MF, turning the focus ring activates the magnified FOCUS ASSIST and a light touch of the shutter button returns the viewfinder to the normal view.

Two things you give up by not going with Manual Exposure:

1). Use of the shutter button for autofocus and start/stop recording. In any mode but manual pressing the shutter button all the way will take a still photo, not start/stop your recording as it will in manual.

2). Ability to "eyeball" the effect of exposure changes in the EVF or on the LCD. With CONSTANT PREVUE set to ON your EVF/LCD lightens or darkens with exposure changes. In manual mode the front control dial sets/changes aperture and the rear dial (under the right thumb) sets shutter which you should probably leave at 1/60th or 1/50th depending on whether you are working in an NTSC or PAL region.

With very little practice in full Manual Movie Mode you should be able to set exposure very quickly with the aperture control, you can preset ISO for prevailing lighting conditions when you first pick up the camera.

Last edited by Bruce Foreman; February 3rd, 2013 at 10:54 AM. Reason: spelling
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2013, 09:12 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Thank you, Bruce. I will try these settings tonight.
Your posts are always informative, professional, and void of the all-to common insults/putdowns that polute similar message boards. Thank you for your insight and knowledge-sharing.
Ian Atkins is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series