Can someone please explain autofocus modes on GH3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old March 15th, 2013, 08:05 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Can someone please explain autofocus modes on GH3

Hi, this is very odd. The two autofocus modes seem to do exactly the same, i.e. they focus when shutter release is pressed. I thought one of the modes was ment to be continual AF? There are also some AF related settings in menues.

Can someone please explain the relative options/modes or point me at an article that does.

Ben

PS be good if this did not turn into a 'dont use AF' thread, I generally use manual but AF is sometimes usefull.
Ben Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2013, 03:14 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: Can someone please explain autofocus modes on GH3

AFS (Auto Focus Single) is one autofocus operation per shutter button "half press".

AFC (Auto Focus Continuous) is supposed to give you some semblance of continous/follow focus. There are two ways of using it, one is to hold the shutter release at "half press" while recording and keep the focus target on the subject. The second is to do one half press for initial focus and see if the camera will maintain focus. Sometimes it does and sometimes it can "hunt" for focus between subject and background.

And AFC will not work with the Lumix 20mm f2.5 lens.

I don't try to use AFC much because I don't find it reliable enough although if I had to I would try to "ride" the "half press". But what I do try to use sometimes is "face detect" mode with autofocus. As long as the camera thinks it is seeing a face it will try to keep that face in focus. That worked on the GH2 and I think it works the same on the GH3.

I often do use autofocus, I have the camera configured for AF+FOCUS ASSIST so I can autofocus with a "half press" on the shutter and if I hold that "half press" starting to turn the focusing ring makes the magnified "focus assist" kick in.

I don't fully understand the difference between AFS and AFF in the menus. "Sorry 'bout that".
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2013, 12:09 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Interesting, I thought AFS was just suposed to autofocus if camera thought focus had been lost (i.e. you repoint camera or zoom). This is generally how camcorders work. Kind of add GH£ does not have this feature.

Ben
Ben Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2013, 07:52 AM   #4
Trustee

In AFC during video mode, the camera will automatically autofocus without the need to touch anything. You do not need to keep pressing the shutter button while filming to maintain focus on a moving subject (so it is just like using a camcorder).

If you leave the camera set on continuous autofocus in video mode the shutter button is still active, so if there is a difficult subject causing the auto-focus to hunt or is too slow, simply press the shutter once to quickly bring the object into sharp focus, then leave the camera to autofocus for the rest of the filming.

It also helps to change the AF framing areas (in Menus),depending on your video subject.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series