GH3 - no expanded focus while recording! - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old April 23rd, 2013, 11:39 AM   #31
Regular Crew

Re: GH3 - no expanded focus while recording!

Hi All;

I stumbled across this on another forum while hunting for info on the GH3's actual dynamic range in video mode. It seems I am not alone in disappointment when it comes to critical focus with the GH3:

---------
Tim Naylor on 04.14.13 @ 6:52PM

Took the camera for a spin today for the first time. Shooting a food market in Brooklyn. Used Lumix 12-35 and 35-100 2.8. Attached Tiffen Variable ND with a hot mirror filter on top of that. Then used a Hema 3 stage rubber Lens shade. The Tiffen Variable ND being 67mm on the outside thread allows for a bigger diameter than the lenses 58mm for additional filter (hot mirror) and lens shade. This avoids vignetting on the 12-35.

The viewfinder is much better for focus than the LCD. That said, they both suck – but not in the way a 5D’s viewing system does. They tend to show images far more contrasty than you get back on your computer. The lack of detail makes critical focus a pain in the ass. I was hoping not to have to buy a small monitor (DP4) for this rig but aside from hobbyist work, anything for a client or your own more serious project, critical focus with this camera is not convenient while rolling. It NEEDS FOCUS PEAKING already !

If a focus peaking hack or firmware update doesn’t happen, my Gh3 is for sale. I bought it mainly for the size, portability and picture, But if I have to slap a monitor on it, that really compromises what makes it special.

So here’s my list for hacks or firmware requests:

- Make it so the rear dial can control iris. The top dial clicks which picks up on the mic.
- Focus Peaking in Red
- Make Tele Conversion activated by a user button while shooting. Having to stop camera and go into menu for this is beyond stupid. If there’s a way please tell me.
- Log Setting in the Color Choices.
Stephen Crye is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series