Starting Number For Still Pics? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old March 18th, 2013, 02:06 PM   #1
Major Player

Starting Number For Still Pics?

I'm trying to figure out how many pics I've taken with my GH2. What is the starting number it uses for still photos? It appears to be 10000. Is that correct?

D
Dennis Vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2013, 10:22 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: Starting Number For Still Pics?

Dennis,

There's a better way. This was in a link I followed from some discussion on reading the shutter count on Olympus Pen cameras. I've done this on all of my GH2 bodies and it works. Just don't try and change anything.

For GH2 it is a little different:
To enter the TEMPORARY Service mode (there also exists PERMANENT service mode) do the following:

1. Make sure you have a NON-EMPTY (with some images) memory card in the camera.
2. Set the Drive mode lever to Single position

3. On a TURNED OFF camera push DISPLAY and AF/AE LOCK buttons simultaneously. While holding these two buttons turn on the power.

Now the camera should be in the temporary service mode. To make sure it is, enter the Setup menu (the one marked with "wrench" icon) and look at the very last page. In the service mode there will be a new item ROM BACKUP. This item is for saving the user settings to and restoring them from a memory card.

4. Push simultaneously LEFT ARROW and MENU/SET buttons. A menu can pop up or some settings show - don't pay attention to that now. While holding these two buttons push AF/AE LOCK. You can now release all three buttons. The screen will now show a table with the last 16 error codes and their dates. Table navigation is done with the arrow buttons. Error codes are explained in the Service Manual.

5. Repeat the actions from item 4 once more. Now you will see CAMERA INFO screen. There is the most interesting info:

VER: full software revision number

No.: motherboard's serial number

PWRCNT: Number of power on cycles (including exits from the Sleep mode)

SHTCNT: Number of shutter activations

STBCNT: Number of flash activations

6. If you now push DISPLAY button you will see CAMERA INFO 2 screen. There are several more counters there: Total number of clock settings (ClockSet Cnt), and two more (UnderCut Cnt и RTC Read Err).

7. By repeating actions from item 4 return the camera into the initial state. The camera can work as usual despite it is still in the service mode.

Complete exit from the service mode is done when the camera is powered down.
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2013, 03:59 PM   #3
Major Player

Wow, seems like a lot of gyrations (not to mention finger contortions) just to learn what the starting number for photos is. I think I've deduced, from the photos I've taken, that it starts at 10000. But thanks for the interesting tutorial on temporary service mode.

D
Dennis Vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2013, 05:50 PM   #4
Trustee

That will tell you (as it would tell a repair tech) EXACTLY what your current shutter count is. No guesswork involved and as far as I know, no way to "fool" it.

I never try to do it without that file in front of me and believe it or not the "contortions" get easier after a few tries. One fingertip can press both the left cursor and the Menu/Set button at the same time.
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series