GH3 - US/PAL Versions & Recording Time Questions at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old April 26th, 2013, 02:45 AM   #1
Regular Crew

GH3 - US/PAL Versions & Recording Time Questions

Hi,

I'm about to purchase a GH3, mainly for video recording use. A lot of documentation I came across had pushed the 240minute video record feature.

I have two questions:

Is there a record time limit still in place on the PAL version? According to the official site there is, but that's the only place I've seen it mentioned - in the small print. Would appreciate some clarification from any other PAL owners out there.

Also, to avail of the 240minute record time, what card size is needed? I prefer buying multiple cards as opposed to one large one (e.g. 4 x 32gb instead of 1 x 128gb) but I understand that the record time will be limited by the card time and battery size. I take it I'll need the battery grip attached to take advantage of the extended record time, but what about the memory card size? 128 / 256gb??

Thanks in advance for opinions and advice.
Ryan James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2013, 08:49 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: GH3 - US/PAL Versions & Recording Time Questions

Ryan, I am afraid the PAL GH3 is limited to 29 minutes and 59 seconds of continuous recording time. This is the result of the EU camcorder tariff on any camera that records for 30 minutes or more.

If you need to record for more than 30 minutes, you will have to buy the NTSC version.

If you are able to get the NTSC camera from the Americas or Japan, you will want a fast card like this £116.50 128GB Sandisk Extreme to go with it.

You will get 307 minutes at the GH3's best bit rate (50mbps IPB)*

Hope this is helpful,

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution

*Extrapolated from this chart from Sandisk
Bill Bruner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2013, 12:17 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks Bill - that is helpful, just not what I wanted to hear!

It goes against what CVP in the UK have told me though, which is disappointing having signed off on a gear list yesterday based on that info. Looks like it's back to the drawing board with this one.

Thanks also for clearing up the SD card question.

If I was to go NTSC would that cause problems when editing? The panasonic was planned as a 'b camera' to a PAL Sony ea50.
Old April 27th, 2013, 09:14 PM   #4
Major Player

It depends on your distribution channel.

For DVD/BluRay, direct output to TV - or any other channel intended for showing on a television screen - yes, it matters. A lot.

For Vimeo, YouTube or any other channel intended for distribution on PCs, tablets or phones, it won't really matter much, as long as you match the original frame rate and conform to the same output format and frame rate (your EA50 is a world camera, and will shoot at 1080/24,25,30,50 or 60 fps. Sadly, the GH3 is region-locked, and your NTSC GH3 will only shoot at 1080/24,30 or 60 fps).

Again, hope this is helpful,

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution
Old April 28th, 2013, 04:06 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks again Bill, appreciate your help.

So am I right in thinking that a non-EU Pal GH3 would not have this record time limit?

If thats the case I could source a GH3 from Australia - it being a Pal area?
Old April 28th, 2013, 07:59 AM   #6
Major Player

That is a very good question, Ryan.

Nikon, Sony and Canon don't bother to differentiate between the time limits on their EU PAL, non-EU PAL and non-EU NTSC hybrid cameras, while Panasonic at least differentiates between EU PAL and non-EU NTSC. But I don't know whether they have invested the resources required to differentiate between EU PAL and non-EU PAL cameras.

I lived in the UK for 5 years, so I know how NTSC, PAL-I, PAL-B/G and SECAM work - but I don't have as much experience with the Asia Pacific region. On that, I would have to defer to one of our Australian colleagues. Anyone?
Old April 28th, 2013, 09:32 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Once again Bill, thanks for your reply.

The GH3 fits the bill in all aspects except for the EU limit on PAL video - I'm sure I'm not the first nor last to be annoyed by this!

I'm doing a bit of research on it myself today but yes, if anyone based in Australia or a non-EU PAL territory can share some knowledge it would be great.
Old April 28th, 2013, 11:52 AM   #8
Regular Crew

According to what I can find online, it's one or the other - either PAL or NTSC: no "non-EU PAL" category.

" In the model for PAL areas, motion image can be recorded in 29 min 59 sec"
From the Panasonic Site:
DMC-GH3, H-HS35100 | Press Release | LUMIX | Digital Camera | Panasonic Global

It would be great to get confirmation of this from some "non-EU PAL" owners out there though.

From reading this forum I see the GH2 had the same limit but it was removed by one of the hacks:
http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/attachme...imit-limit.jpg

Here's hoping the same will happen to the GH3 but I'm not sure I want to take the risk.
Old April 29th, 2013, 02:43 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Further update on this! Was in touch with Michaels.com.au and they replied with:

"According to the Panasonic Australia website, the GH3 can record for 'an unlimited time'. I would take this to mean there aren't any restrictions to videos over 30 minutes.

The limit on time in the UK is due to the European Unions tax laws regarding what is a video camera and what is a stills camera.

Since we don't have this tax in Australia or the US, **** it appears Panasonic is making some cameras with this limitation and others without **** ."

ALSO: From an ebay seller dealing in PAL GH3's:
"Hi,
Our camera can record video more than 30 minutes.
There is no restriction on it.
Thanks."

BUT it would be great for a GH3 (nonEU) PAL owner to confirm this if possible - any takers?
Old April 29th, 2013, 04:27 AM   #10
Major Player

Ryan - Lee from Gan Eden Video Productions in Australia just emailed me to say; "The Australian/NZ Pal version does not have any recording time restriction." (Thanks, Lee).

This backs up what is said at 9:07 in this video from Panasonic Australia, "In the Australian version of the GH3, there are no time restrictions whatsoever, so you can shoot for as long as you have space on the card and power remaining in your battery."

You can get an Australian PAL GH3 via eBay AU for $1330AUD (plus shipping and duties).

Best,

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution
Old April 29th, 2013, 05:14 AM   #11
Regular Crew

That's great news Bill - and thanks for getting on to Lee about it. I was hoping to have it clarified by someone who didn't have a vested interest in selling me one!

Looks like I'll be changing my order to CVP - I figure it will work out a bit more expensive this way but I need that feature.
Old April 29th, 2013, 07:38 AM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bruner View Post

You will get 307 minutes at the GH3's best bit rate (50mbps IPB)
Is the 50mbps IPB better than the 72mbps All/Intra ?
Old April 30th, 2013, 02:54 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Just to add some more relevant info to this thread - another member took the time to test their Australian GH3 camera and came back with the following:

"Good news and not so good news but at least you have a definitive answer
Mp4 and AVCHD settings are 30 mins.
Mov mode got to 50 mins before I had to walk out and switch off- it was still going but looked like the remaining time was only 8 minutes"

and also:

"Actually in mov 1920x 1080 25p mode I've got it to go to the limit of the card
So there you go. I think in all mov modes you will get that but in mp4 and Avchd you only get 30 - beats me why"

(Thanks Chris for doing that test)
Old April 30th, 2013, 03:57 AM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cees van Kempen View Post
Is the 50mbps IPB better than the 72mbps All/Intra ?
Hi Cees - I shoot 50 mbps IPB with the GH3 because of threads like these:

GH3 user reviews and opinions - Personal View Talks
GH3 user reviews and opinions - Personal View Talks

I admit that I have not taken the time to shoot a side-by-side comparison myself, but 1080/60p 50mbps IPB .mov has been a great frame rate/codec for me.

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution
Old April 30th, 2013, 05:08 AM   #15
Major Player

Thanks Bill !!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series