GH3 vs VG30 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old May 4th, 2013, 02:38 AM   #1
Regular Crew

GH3 vs VG30

Hi everyone , hope u are well

I would like to buy one of the following cameras

VG30 vs GH3

am only interested in the video fuction of both.

i dont have any lenses from sony or panasonic so it will be a new begining,

in anyway

i would like to know how this 2 cameras compare in to LOW LIGHT and what wide lens are available for the panasonic .

thanks in advance
Anthony Mozora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2013, 06:05 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: GH3 vs VG30

I am curious about the Sony also. I'd like to try the VG30 with a Sony F/2.8 DT 16-50mm lens. A camcorder form factor paired with interchangeable lens is a tempting combination. From what I've read, some Sony users love this camera.

I look forward to hearing from experienced users on your topic, My guess, which is no help to you, is that they are comparable and the low light performance might depend mostly on lens selection more than anything else, everything else being equal.

The GH3 sensor is newer, which might give it an edge, but I don't know, I'm just babbling. Good luck with your research and purchase.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2013, 08:38 AM   #3
Major Player

Hi Anthony - I own the GH3 and have shot with the VG20. The VG30 is the same camera with a power zoom.

What I found was that VG20 and VG30 cameras offer no control of contrast or sharpness, and moire is a problem. See the moire on the roof here at 0:31:

The other problem with VG cameras is the limited bit rate and codec selection. 28mbps AVCHD looks good - until you see 50mbps IPB .MOV from the GH3.

The VG cameras are not bad in low light, but the E mount fast lens selection is not as good as for micro 4/3 mount (there is no NEX equivalent to the Nokton 25mm or 17.5mm f0.95 lenses, for example).

With a Nokton 25mm f0.95 lens on it, the GH3 can pretty much see in the dark (please watch at 1080p):

And here is the GH3 with the Nokton 17.5mm f0.95:

Had to add this one. Shot with the GH3, Nokton 25mm f0.95 and Olympus 12mm f2.0 at 24p/72mbps and 60p/50mbps:

Hope this is helpful,

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution
Bill Bruner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2013, 09:12 AM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bruner View Post
The VG cameras are not bad in low light, but the E mount fast lens selection is not as good as for micro 4/3 mount (there is no NEX equivalent to the Nokton 25mm or 17.5mm f0.95 lenses, for example).
While this is partly correct, E-mount cameras have the Metabones Speedbooster currently available, which makes any compatible full-frame lens a stop faster (up to ~f0.9, IIRC) and 0.71x wider. Granted they won't come with full auto functionality, but then all the m43 f0.95 lenses are manual anyway. Pairing the Speedbooster with something like the Samyang 35/1.4 would yield a ~25/f1 lens for roughly equivalent money to the Voigtlander; a ~35/f1 equivalent would be no further away than a compatible legacy 50/1.4 .

I'd still personally go for the GH3 based on preference, flexibility, and my already considerable buy-in on m43 glass, but the E-mount system is intriguing.

Speedbooster is under development for m43 cameras, to be released... sometime.
Old May 4th, 2013, 09:44 PM   #5
Major Player

I take your point, Kevin. Perhaps I should have said, "there is no NEX equivalent to the Noktons without a $450-$600 adapter"

As for the Speedbooster - as you say, intriguing. But I didn't put a Letus adapter on my camcorder to get shallow depth of field - and I probably won't buy the Speedbooster. A simple hollow tube adapter for non micro 4/3 lenses is about all my tiny little mind can deal with :)

That said, I will be anxious to see user reports when they start coming in.

Cheers,

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution
Bill Bruner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2013, 07:11 AM   #6
Regular Crew

thank u so much all for ur replies!

i have desided to go with the vg30 mostly cause of practical reasons , (speedbooster and more wide angle options with my current glass) I think it will be a good b camera to my FS100 .
Anthony Mozora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2013, 12:09 PM   #7
Major Player

Hi Anthony,
how are you getting on with your VG30? No you use it in weddings? How does it handle? Are you happy with it? I'm considering buying one so any info would be great.
Cheers,
Andrew
Andrew Maclaurin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series