What ND filter do you find yourself using most? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old June 18th, 2013, 04:51 AM   #1
Inner Circle

What ND filter do you find yourself using most?

I'm migrating from a 5DM2 to GH3. For the 5DM2, I found a .6 and .9 covered all my needs. Given the less sensitive MFT sensor, I'm wondering if perhaps those NDs won't cover the bases and perhaps a set of .3 and .6 is better matched.

What ND filter do you find yourself using with the GH2 or GH3 in outdoor settings?

Last edited by Les Wilson; June 18th, 2013 at 06:14 AM.
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2013, 05:34 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: What ND filter do you find yourself using most?

I use a genustech .9 as it covers really bright sunshine with (I think) an 8 stop range. I'll check.
Chris Duczynski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2013, 11:55 PM   #3
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Wilson View Post
I'm migrating from a 5DM2 to GH3. For the 5DM2, I found a .6 and .9 covered all my needs. Given the less sensitive MFT sensor, I'm wondering if perhaps those NDs won't cover the bases and perhaps a set of .3 and .6 is better matched.

What ND filter do you find yourself using with the GH2 or GH3 in outdoor settings?
My most used is 1.2ND (four stop reduction). I have the .6 and .9 also (2 stop and 3 stop reduction respectively). I guess much depends on how bright the daylight you work in is, here in West Texas it gets pretty bright and I need the four stop reduction not for shallow DOF use but to get down into the aperture midrange (f8 f5.6 or so) so I don't get stuck with "deep DOF" and to get away from the potential "diffraction" effect that can affect sharpness at your smallest apertures.

Your .6 and .9 should work for your GH3 much the same as they do for the 5D MkII, the MFT sensor shouldn't be that much of a factor in a "practical" sense.
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2013, 12:16 PM   #4
New Boot

Les,

Since you've recently acquired the GH3 & 12-35mm my response is targeted towards this combination.

Due to their compact form factor, range, OIS, & image quality, the 12-35/2.8, & 35-100/2.8, are the two lenses I use most often on the GH3 (& AF100).

I would find having only one ND very limiting so at minimal I carry a set of three. They are 2, 4, & 8 stop 58mm NDs, which is the same strength that's built into the AF100's filter wheel. Additionally I carry a 58mm Heliopan VND for those times when speed is more important than ultimate image quality.

All four filters live in a small Tiffen Belt Style Filter Pouch, & attach to the lenses with Xume Adapters.

The Xume adapters will cause the VND to vignette slightly at the wide end of the 12-35mm, but I'm willing to deal with this instead of losing time screwing & unscrewing filters.

Best,
Bern
Bern Caughey is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series