Batteries for GH2? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old July 3rd, 2013, 10:00 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Batteries for GH2?

Noticed today on both B&H and Samys.com that the battery for the GH2 is on backorder. Why the short supply for the battery of a very popular camera? Do you guys trust any of the "replacements?"

Thx!
Rule #1: Don't sweat the small stuff. Rule #2: It's ALL small stuff!
Terry Wall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2013, 07:42 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Batteries for GH2?

I absolutley do not trust the generics in this case. If you have not already, J&R music and Adorama for your batteries. They do appear to be in short supply, not sure why that would be.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2013, 11:35 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Mornin' Jeff! Thanks for the tip; alas, neither Adorama nor J&R have them. I went to Amazon.com and found a company in Hong Kong (EbuyTek) has them -- even at a better price. The picture indicates they're Panasonic brand, but with plagiarism so rampant in that part of the world, should I take a chance? I need 2 more batteries for my GH2. Thoughts?

Last edited by Terry Wall; July 5th, 2013 at 11:46 AM. Reason: typo
Old July 5th, 2013, 01:58 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Good luck Terry, looked around a bit for you, found nothing. You could google New York camera store and try the different places, someone will have a battery I'm sure!
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2013, 03:07 PM   #5
Regular Crew

They should become available again soon, because I think the new G6 will be using the same battery.
Michael Kirinovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2013, 03:13 PM   #6
Major Player

This is the downside of battery commonality. The upcoming G6 will use the same DMW-BLC12 battery as the GH2 did - something Panasonic shooters have clamored for since the company needlessly changed batteries between the GH1 and GH2.

My guess is that folks who have pre-ordered the G6 are snapping up the DMW-BLC12s.

Bill
Bill Bruner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2013, 01:58 PM   #7
Regular Crew

I went ahead and ordered the batteries from EbuyTek. Amazon stakes their reputation behind them, so I'm giving it a shot. Will report back when they arrive.
Old July 8th, 2013, 12:22 AM   #8
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Kirinovic View Post
They should become available again soon, because I think the new G6 will be using the same battery.
It will and so does the G5. And there's still a lot of GH2s "kicking around" so that battery is somewhat in demand.
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2013, 12:27 AM   #9
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Wall View Post
I went ahead and ordered the batteries from EbuyTek. Amazon stakes their reputation behind them, so I'm giving it a shot. Will report back when they arrive.
A couple of warnings on all aftermarket batteries:

Do not use them for any firmware upgrades, if they die in midprocess in the GH2 it totally "bricks" the camera, very likely to be the same in the G5 and G6.

And watch very closely for signs of swelling, I had to spend two hours "prying" one out that swelled in the camera. Amazon "staking their reputation" on them will be limited to a refund on the battery.
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2013, 10:19 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Got lucky! B&H now has the BLC-12 battery in stock and I ordered two! Just got my confirmation a moment ago! Cancelled that other order through Amazon as it hadn't shipped yet. I do feel more comfortable getting the correct battery from a reputable retailer--and a DVINFO sponsor!

Thanks everyone, for your input!
Terry Wall is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series