gh3... any typical problems? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old July 31st, 2013, 06:11 PM   #1
Major Player

gh3... any typical problems?

any typical problems like moir'e, anti-aliasing and rolling shutter jello effect?

alex
Alex Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2013, 12:49 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: gh3... any typical problems?

I"m just like you about to get a gh3, in my case to replace a 550d on a steadicam mainly but for other purposes as well. Eventhough I don't have the camera yet I just looked at the many videos on vimeo and for me it's clear the camera is a very solid performer.

One of my favorite videos is this one, shot handheld using just one lens:

Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2013, 12:43 PM   #3
Major Player

yes, nice video there. i wished it had less slo mo, but i still like it. thanx
if you notice, i posted a lot yesterday about this camera. trying to decide if these shortcomings people speak about will be a deal breaker for me.

alex

Last edited by Alex Anderson; August 1st, 2013 at 07:06 PM.
Old August 1st, 2013, 02:59 PM   #4
Inner Circle

The typical problem is that the camera is not a video camcorder. You have to adjust your expectations to the qualities of the camera. If you are used to a pro video camera, this will take time to adjust to.
Old August 1st, 2013, 07:03 PM   #5
Major Player

I am just asking how this camera performs with the typical moire, anti aliasing stair stepping and rolling shutter problems. Some cameras , like the 5dm3, have added a filter in front of the lens to reduce the first two problems. Some cameras have better rolling shutter, etc. how is the gh3? I am trying to learn as much as possible about the gh3 right now.

alex

Last edited by Alex Anderson; August 1st, 2013 at 10:46 PM.
Old August 2nd, 2013, 08:14 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Sorry, my experience is that the camera doesn't work to our typical expectations for video recording. I find that moire, aliasing and rolling shutter is minor on the camera compared to other DSLRs. You can induce rolling shutter but it's not as easy as a few years ago with older cameras.
Old August 7th, 2013, 08:24 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
I"m just like you about to get a gh3, in my case to replace a 550d on a steadicam mainly but for other purposes as well. Eventhough I don't have the camera yet I just looked at the many videos on vimeo and for me it's clear the camera is a very solid performer.
Noa, if you haven't purchased yet then I suggest that you look at the new Panasonic G6. Video performance is on a par with the GH2 but with 1080@50p plus the WiFi control etc from the GH3. The beauty is that the G6 is almost half the price of the GH3.

If it is exclusively to replace the 550D for Steadicam use then it's worth looking at the Olympus OM-D E-M5. Not only is the best MFT stills camera with great low light performance but the in body 5-way stabilisation is amazing. If only shoots 30p so if you conform footage to 25p but that adds a nice slo-mo look.

There is a guy in Israel shooting weddings with an OM-D & he has done some great stuff

Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2013, 08:39 AM   #8
Trustee

GH3 is a very good camera,
when you have enough light.
Old August 7th, 2013, 04:41 PM   #9
Major Player

I think almost all the cameras today look good when there is enough light. So, the quest for the best low light camera to shoot HD video in the less than or around $1k.

alex
Old August 7th, 2013, 07:05 PM   #10
Inner Circle

I spent two weeks with the GH3 in Zambia. If it matters to you, camera has serious ergonomic problems. Frankly, it strikes me as a camera designed by people with a neophyte view of shooting video.
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2013, 07:15 PM   #11
Major Player

Ergonomically it's a good improvement over the GH2 - but it's basically a stills camera that shoots video. You really need to accessorise to make it work well for video. And that is the DSLR conundrum.
Chris Duczynski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2013, 07:53 PM   #12
Major Player

Aaccessorize as in how? I don't agree and I don't get into all that shoulder rigging overpriced.stuff. I can do video with just the camera, a lens, batteries and a carbon fiber lightweight small fluid head system. And some small headphones to hear audio on interviews which a lot of cameras except the 5dm3 also has. I never have gotten into dog and pony shows with elaborate crews and long drawn out sessions. Yet, I have made a long successful career on very high quality video/ audio with my way. The only time I did shoulder mount camera was when I was shooting news for ABC Network. I guess if you get into weddings and reality show (crap), then yeah, shoulder rigs run and gun. But, not my ticket for doing movies and docs.

I know some will disagree cus they do those other things and it's needed. And I have respect for what they do, too. I hope I have made my point of why I disagree on accessories. It's really not needed if you know what and how to do things to get quality footage and sound in a fast efficient manner. Spend the extra cash for a good carbon fiber small fluid head and you can run around all day getting excellent footage using only one hand to pick the camera and tripod up.

Alex
Old August 7th, 2013, 11:08 PM   #13
Major Player

Well you did ask if there were any problems, the main one being seeing the LCD properly and focussing in daylight - so one accessory is a loupe or EVF such as a DP4. The disappearing display is another problem as you can't monitor audio levels after 10 seconds unless you trigger the display by waving your hand over the sensor or half-pressing the shutter. You may want a juiced link or beachtek "accessory" to assist and rads.
Finally don't patronise by suggesting we do dog and pony shows while you forge a career otherwise. There's plenty of people here that make a good professional living using GH3's, me being one of them. No-one said you need to pimp your rig, but the GH3 is NOT an ENG camera and you need to make allowances.
Chris Duczynski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2013, 01:48 AM   #14
Inner Circle

The GH3 needs a loupe for ease of use in my opinion. I am right now using a Varavon Loupe EX designed exclusively for the GH3. It turns the headache of using a DSLR as a motion camera into a slight annoyance. Suddenly the camera works handheld and on the tripod in the sun. Focusing is easier as well. For $200 dollars you can't really lose although there are pricier loupes that may offer better quality. As stated earlier, this camera is still designed for still photography not long sessions of eye to the viewfinder like most motion cameras are. The disappearing viewfinder info is disturbing but the record indicator and time duration indicator remains so it takes getting use to. Once you find a few lenses to your liking, the camera will produce excellent results especially if you shoot at 50mbs. Are there other cameras better suited to your needs? Possibly but in my opinion the GH3 is the best in it's price range for what you get. That is a combo of image, sound and function that needs little in the way of accessories.
Old August 8th, 2013, 02:19 AM   #15
Inner Circle

William, I am surprised that you don't use the GH3's built in EVF. The resolution is better than enlarging the pixels of the rear screen. Perhaps it's the fact that using the the loupe is better ergonomically for prolonged use? I used to use the EVF on my GH2 a lot when I lived in the South of France & had to contend with very bright sunshine.

I have got used to not using a loupe on my 5D3. I loved using a loupe on my 5D2 partly for the extra stability of the third point of contact but initially there were no loupes that fitted the 5D3 so I was back to using the camera 'naked'. The screen on the 5D3 is superior to the 5D2 & I think that I use my Glidecam a lot more nowadays rather than the monopod so don't miss the loupe.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series