Rode Videomic Pro, A Warning! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old September 13th, 2013, 01:38 AM   #1
Major Player

Rode Videomic Pro, A Warning!

Don't forget to switch the thing off!

Ron

Last edited by Ronald Jackson; September 13th, 2013 at 01:41 AM. Reason: errant word
Ronald Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2013, 01:50 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Rode Videomic Pro, A Warning!

Ok, I'll bite. Why?
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2013, 02:23 AM   #3
Major Player

Battery will eventually run down is my concern. Been on all night and I only thought to check this morning. Conceivably could have been on for days as I don't always need the external mike.
I'm used to phantom powered mikes, mikes powered by the camcorder's own batteries, where I automatically switched the cam off when finished and anyway had power saving in operation or if worse comes to worse a flat battery to be recharged.

Ron
Old September 13th, 2013, 02:43 AM   #4
Trustee

Maybe Rode should have put some nice bright lights on the back to remind us that it's still on. :-)

Thought you were going to tell us the battery died a horrible sticky corrosive death in your microphone.

Actually, I left mine on one night as well and saw it still on the next morning. I was using it again, and it kept going for all of the next day, though I always carry spares.
Colin McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2013, 03:02 AM   #5
Major Player

Rode say "up to 70 hours battery life" which not a lot really if, like me, you're into wildlife video with a lot of waiting with cam (and mike) in standby. No idea whether this also applies to mike left switched on but not connected to the camera, or if camera "off" but mike "on".

Will be carrying a spare battery in future (bane of my life, batteries) but don't want to have to sit there counting fingers to work out how much battery life I've got left.

There is a green battery "on" light, will check Rode to see whether this changes colour as battery weakens.

Ron
Old September 13th, 2013, 03:07 AM   #6
Major Player

Our good old antipodean cousins! Rode say "over 100 hours ---depending" BUT there is a red warning light with another 10 hours before kaput time.

Ron
Old September 13th, 2013, 04:37 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Batteries in radio mics, batteries in cameras, batteries in mics, batteries in audio recorders.

Batteries going flat isn't a big deal they're consumable items and it's not really much extra work to stick a new one in, is it?

I have always put new batteries in my radio systems every single outing, and never trust battery meters. My sound man is not so diligent. I always say "Batteries". He always says "They were new yesterday and we didn't use them much". I always insist he swaps them. He always thinks I am mad. Sometimes he doesn't do it - despite my warning, and I always double check before we start. He's always amazed how the battery meters have 'suddenly' taken a big dive, and he's on a panic to swap them at the last moment.

I'd rather spend the money on a fresh battery every outing rather than wreck one with a flat battery.
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2013, 05:02 AM   #8
Trustee

+1 on all of that, Paul.

I have plenty of things round the house that are quite happy to run on the part used batteries from radiomics and audio recorders etc.

Could I just put in a plug here for BatteryStation Online for any UK members who have not tried them. They have a wide range of products including Duracell Pro and Varta Industrial at fantastic prices if you buy in bulk and the delivery is next day during the I hour slot that they email/text you, changeable if not convenient.

EDIT: As for having to carry a spare battery, here's my new Zoom H6 in its bed (Zoom obviously think the way I do!):
Attached Thumbnails
Rode Videomic Pro, A Warning!-h6_case.jpg  

Last edited by Colin McDonald; September 13th, 2013 at 05:32 AM.
Colin McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2013, 10:00 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald Jackson View Post
Our good old antipodean cousins! Rode say "over 100 hours ---depending" BUT there is a red warning light with another 10 hours before kaput time.

Ron
Yup, I have made a habit of turning off the Rode mike when I put the camera away. And carrying a couple of batteries just in case. I have made a couple of mistakes with turning the mike back on after an extended break. Never ran out during a shoot so I'm not sure what it sounds like when that happens. I have wireless mikes that clearly sound differently as they slowly run down so I can make a strategic decision about when to change batteries.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series