Lock/unlock tab broke Scandisk 64 extreme at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old September 28th, 2013, 02:59 AM   #1
Major Player

Lock/unlock tab broke Scandisk 64 extreme

The "lock/unlock" tab on my card does not work. The lock tab moves to lock position when inserted into the GH2. You can feel the tab moves freely compared to a good one. Just the friction on the tab when inserting into the GH2 moves it to the "lock" position.

Any one else had this problem? Need suggestions on how to fix this. The card is over 6 months old and Im sure out of warranty...but will check with B&H.

thanks,
Jeff
Old September 28th, 2013, 03:12 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Lock/unlock tab broke Scandisk 64 extreme

A dab of super glue to fix it in the unlock position.
Donald McPherson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2013, 03:15 AM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Donald....
Im a little scared to try that...all I need is to get some residue glue in my sd card slot. haha.

Ive contacted ScanDisk...supposedly the card is under lifetime warranty....will see if they will replace the card. Good test for ScanDisk customer service and warranties.

thanks,
jeff
Old September 29th, 2013, 09:21 AM   #4
Trustee

Jeff, just stop using that card. Your camera body is a $1300 piece of gear. You don't want to risk part of that sliding lock coming loose or off in the card slot.

Don't take a chance even if SanDisk doesn't replace it.
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2013, 10:56 AM   #5
Major Player

GOT YA BRUCE.....
Have put it aside while waiting to hear from Sandisk on warranty replacement.

I think it would be best for them to leave the protect tab off. Ive heard of others experiencing similar problems...and getting it stuck in the camera.

Thanks for the reply,
jeff
Old September 29th, 2013, 06:52 PM   #6
Major Player

May be too late, but FWIW, I had the same thing happen on a 16GB Lexar card after only it's second use within a week of purchase, so I was sure it was under warranty.

My usual practice is to lock the tab upon completion of shooting but after I turn off my camera (HMC-150), and leave it locked until the footage has been transferred to my computer and a backup. Unfortunately, the tab came out before the transfer, and I thought the footage was hopelessly lost.

I sent both the card and the tab to Lexar, and to my surprise, and it was returned with both the tab and footage intact. The card was only out of my possession for about a week.

I still have the card, and have been using it from time-to-time, and it works fine.
Our actions are based on our own experience and knowledge. Thus, no one is ever totally right, nor totally wrong. We simply act from what we "know" to be true, based on that experience and knowledge. Beyond that, we pose questions to others.
Denis Danatzko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2013, 01:46 AM   #7
Major Player

Denis....good news for you for sure.

Fortunately I dont have anything important on the card. Hopefully they will issue another.
I guess anything can break, just part of the game we play.

thanks for the info,
jeff
Old October 9th, 2013, 01:58 AM   #8
Major Player

UPDATE: ALL IS WELL

Got great service and communication from sandisk.
In a week, I now have a new 64gig sandisk extreme card . No hassle warranty replacement, UPS shipment to and from paid by Sandisk.

thanks Sandisk !

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series