Reducing noise at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old November 13th, 2013, 02:59 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Reducing noise

I shot my first family event last week and although reasonably happy with the outcome some of the clips suffer from noise due to low light at the venue.

I am currently using iMovie to edit, however there does not appear to be any noise reduction software available for iMovie.

Is there a standalone program for noise reduction that I could use

Thanks Phil
Phil Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2013, 06:18 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: Reducing noise

neat video $99
Steve Bleasdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2013, 07:06 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Neat Video can work miracles on noisy footage but be aware that it can be very very very slow.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2013, 02:34 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks for the replies, I thought neat Video was a plug in for the more Pro oriented software I wasn't aware it was a standalone.

Where does it fit into the workflow, I am shooting GH3 mov files, do you run it through the software and save it in the same format.

Thanks Phil

Phil
Old November 13th, 2013, 11:38 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Phil, I looked on the website and it appears you are correct, Neat Video is a plug in, I did not see a standalone version.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2013, 01:25 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Thanks Jeff, I haven't managed to find a standalone.

Phil
Old November 14th, 2013, 02:47 PM   #7
Inner Circle

iMovie really isn't much use for anything other than compiling a few clips together. It's not designed for anything more complex than that. It does what it does quite well, but isn't an expandable platform.
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2013, 04:40 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Thanks Paul
I was planning to get a more advanced program at some point but maybe I need to take the plunge earlier than anticipated.

Phil
Old November 14th, 2013, 04:47 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Phil, what you could do is download a fully functioning trial of Vegas! then download Neat Video plug in. Vegas is good for 30 days. You could learn your way around it well enough to simply render out a de-noised version of your footage, and then edit in iMovie.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2013, 07:37 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Thanks for the tip Jeff.

I was considering moving up to FCPX at some point, Video editing is very new to me so I was going to learn my way around iMovie first, I am not sure if that is the best program however.

Video is a very new experience at present but I am finding it quite exciting after shooting stills for so long.

Phil
Old November 14th, 2013, 07:51 PM   #11
Inner Circle

As a user of FCPX and the Panasonic GH series, I wish I could help you with iMovie but I don't know it at all. There are people who have done rather complex tasks with iMovie that would surprise people with more advanced editing programs. Perhaps a web search will find you something. I can tell you that FCPX does not come with a noise reduction filter built in to the program but it does come with lots of other useful filters. There are ways to reduce noise by layering color channels from your clips and placing blurs plus sharpening on the color channel that has the most noise. That's not the clearest explanation but perhaps someone knows how to do this in iMovie. The Neat Video plug in for FCPX is great but it can make footage look cartoony if overused.

Yes, if you are serious about video editing, get FCPX, but for fooling around, iMovie is just fine for learning how to not use high ISO in situations if it can be avoided.
Old November 15th, 2013, 03:04 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Thanks for the feedback William, I am likely going to get FCPX
Old November 15th, 2013, 03:39 AM   #13
Inner Circle

The biggest insult from video editors when FCP X was shipped is that it was too much like iMovie & it's true that the interface has many similarities. I would imagine that if you are familiar with iMovie that you would find it very easy to adapt to FCP X. There is a 30 day free trial then you can try out the 30 day free trial of Neat Video too. Alternatively look at the Red Giant Colour Suite (also a 30 day trial) that includes amongst other items a very effective Denoiser which in my experience is much faster than Neat Video.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2013, 12:10 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Thanks Nigel, I had not heard of Red Giant software I will check it out
Phil Stanley is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series