Crop Factor at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old December 27th, 2013, 12:52 PM   #1
Major Player

Crop Factor

I understand how the crop factor for the GH3 effectively doubles the focal length of a traditional SLR lens making a 25mm lens into a 50mm lens. What I'm not certain about is whether that holds true for lenses made specifically for micro 4/3 lenses.

In other words, does the Panasonic Lumix G Micro 4/3 LEICA 25mm f/1.4 lens work as a 50mm "normal" lens on a GH3? Or is it really a 25mm wide angle?

D
Dennis Vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2013, 03:08 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Crop Factor

Micro-four-thirds lens manufacturers do not engage in any conversion/tricks in stating the focal length, fortunately.

Any name-brand "25mm" lens on the GH3 is indeed a 25mm focal length, and can be considered roughly equivalent in actual field of view to a 50mm lens on a full-frame camera like the 5D.
Bob Richardson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2013, 03:10 PM   #3
Major Player

A 25 is a 25 is a 25... due to varying crop factors amongst camera bodies, lenses are always listed by their actual focal length instead of their "full frame equivalent," which would just confuse everyone the minute they tried to use it on a different sensor.
Old December 27th, 2013, 05:04 PM   #4
Major Player

Kevin and Bob,

Thanks for the replies. Things are as I thought they would be. A 25 is a 25 but works effectively as a 50 on a GH3. I want a "normal" 50mm prime so I'm going with the Leica 25mm f1.4.

D
Old December 27th, 2013, 05:46 PM   #5
Trustee

Dennis,

You'll find that to be an excellent choice. If you use it as we had to use the "shifty fifty" in the 1950's on until zooms became popular, you should find it to be one exceptionally useful and flexible lens. Plus it has an outstanding reputation for sharpness, very good contrast, and good color tones...Even wide open.

I have one of these and love it.
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2013, 10:44 PM   #6
Major Player

Bruce,

I've read good things about here and elsewhere. Glad to hear it is as good as it sounds.

D
Old January 2nd, 2014, 10:12 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Hold it steady, not stabilized but a sweet lens. I have one as well.
Ron Fabienke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2014, 10:28 PM   #8
Major Player

Rob, thanks for the tip.

I sprung for it last week. It arrived on Friday but I haven't had a chance to try it out yet. With its speed I'm hoping lack of stabilization won't be a problem, especially for day time use. I'm hoping it will open up some opportunities in low light that none of my other Panasonic lenses can deal with at reasonable ISOs.

D
Dennis Vogel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series