Should I go Samyang (Rokinon) Speed booster route with my GH3? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old February 4th, 2014, 07:57 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Should I go Samyang (Rokinon) Speed booster route with my GH3?

Hi guys,

My wife currently shoots weddings (cinematography), using a GH3 with the following lenses:
Zuiko 12mm f2.0
Pana Leica 25mm f1.4
Pana 35-100mm f2.8

I'm looking at helping her shoot and am about to get a GH3 for myself. Now I'm trying to decide whether to go for the same lenses above or I'm considering going down the Samyang & speedbooster route and would like to get your opinions.

The reason that I'm thinking about this is that the Samyang lenses look well built and will be a bit faster than the current combination of lenses used and I may be able to get a wider angle lens that the Zuiko. However, I love just hot tack sharp the Zuiko and the Pana lenses are. Will I be sacrificing any sharpness on the Samyang lenses?

So Lenses I would look to get would be:
Samyang 16mm f2.0 or Tokina 11-16mm
Samyang 35mm f1.4

My questions are:

1. Firstly what are your overall thoughts?
2. I really like the focus throw of the Pana 25mm and its easy to focus. Are the Samyangs focus throws too long to be manually focus pulling, or are they good to use?
3. Is the Tokina 11-16mm usable on a MFT? I've heard mixed reviews.
4. Are the Samyang lenses sharp wide open? I would be hoping to use them wide open with the speedbooster.

Thanks,
Rich

Last edited by Richard Tetik; February 4th, 2014 at 10:51 PM.
Richard Tetik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2014, 01:17 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Should I go Samyang (Rokinon) Speed booster route with my GH3?

I just bought the new Rokinon 7.5mm fisheye with m4/3 mount brand new for $265 on eBay. I played around with it today and I noticed the focus ring was a little stiff. I wish it had autofocus like the Pana 8mm, but that would require spending over twice as much. Not sure about the other lenses or if their focus rings will be the same, or if they'll unstiffen over time.
Patrick Janka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2014, 10:59 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Personally I'd stick with Panasonic/Olympus lenses, but that's me. The 12-35mm F/2.8 would be awesome and save you a lot of grief and time changing lenses.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2014, 07:11 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Unless you are mad keen on manual focus & the look of old stills lenses (soft & with a colour cast) then you are far better off using the purpose designed Panasonic or Olympus MFT lenses with AF. The proper lenses are small & light & very sharp. The camera bodies 'talk' with the lenses & correct spherical aberration etc

Last edited by Nigel Barker; February 9th, 2014 at 07:44 AM.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2014, 07:28 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Samyang lenses don't mix that well with the lumix ones, the lumix lenses render the color in a different way and they are also sharper.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2014, 12:14 PM   #6
New Boot

I would go for the 12-35 lens you can normally get a deal on this package with the body, it's a great lens very versatile and image quality is excellent.
Chris Gillooly is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series