silly gh4 experiment at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old April 17th, 2014, 06:53 PM   #1
Major Player

silly gh4 experiment

The girls from our camera shootout asked for a version of their song without all the camera test stuff. The shots from the shootout were static locked down on tripods so it didn't seem very interesting. For fun i dropped to a 1024x576 pal timeline and did "pan and scan" to move around the image and create motion from the two static shots.

Youtube destroyed the image and as noted before, our gh4 footage was kinda noisy to start with, but the footage looked pretty good in the NLE and it was still an interesting thought experiment. You could absolutely use the gh4 footage for interviews to give you a CU and wide at the same time. Dropping to 720 (or SD) you could get a pair of closeups from a single 4k wide if the two people weren't miles apart and the frame too wide.

Anyways, ugly resolution aside, here's the silly "frame it in post" version of the test video.

Again, this is a locked down wide and a locked down medium shot. All zooms/pans/tilts are added in post. Cheers! oh, fyi, i never scale larger than 90% in the video so the image holds up ok.

heres a grab from qt to show the "before youtube" quality.http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/attachme...1&d=1397782427
-a
Attached Thumbnails
silly gh4 experiment-youtube.jpg  
Andrew Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2014, 09:05 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: silly gh4 experiment

How did you manage to get so smooth start and stops of your panning motion? That definitely made it look like it was done with a tripod, looked very convincing, which nle was used?
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2014, 02:28 PM   #3
Major Player

I just used premier for that. I applied temporal "ease" to the motion and scale keyframes. also, i adjusted some of the paths to be something other than a straight line. It seemed that a little bit of drift made the moves seem a bit more real.

cheers!
Old April 19th, 2014, 02:02 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Not sure if my edius pro is able to do that but those smooth start and stops sure make it look very real.
Old April 19th, 2014, 04:19 AM   #5
Major Player

Thanks! I did the test as a giggle, but i'm actually considering how you could shoot a pair of gh4 @4k of a live performance and get a bunch of perfect cutaways and moves out of it...
Old April 19th, 2014, 05:59 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
I did the test as a giggle
You actually proved it is possible to simulate a multicamera environment using a static 4k image cropped in post and make it look convincing. It doesn't look like a ken burns effect but looks like a cameraman was operating the tripod.
Old April 19th, 2014, 06:21 AM   #7
Inner Circle

I do this all the time by editing in 720p with 1080 footage. It works great with lock off shots combined with camera person operated cameras such as an unmanned camera shooting thru an open grand piano or a wide shot. The drawback is that the movements are two dimensional and do not have the slight change in perspective that a hand-held or tripod controlled movement have. An animated zoom doesn't have the change in DOF a real zoom has, it remains flat. Used in moderation, post production camera movement looks good.
Old April 19th, 2014, 07:43 AM   #8
Major Player

This video worked because there wasn't any foreground to speak of. The paralax of a long lens on a tripod won't be much different than a pan/scan. Obviously no sliders or jib shots implied here, as the perspective doesn't change.

The unique part of this test was whether the 4k file could survive getting close to 1:1 pixel mapping in a SD timeline. When you move SD around a 4k frame, you have a LOT more motion possible, which i think also helps this video look like more than what we'd normally see for digital pans/tilts.

So i couldn't see this replacing normal shooting, but if you are running 1-man-band, having a 4k on wide gives you a HEAP of cutaway options.
Andrew Dean is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series