is GH4 LANC-compatible? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old June 26th, 2014, 02:07 PM   #1
Major Player

is GH4 LANC-compatible?

Hi there,
I've got a VariZoom VZRock LANC controller that I've been using with a Canon XF100.
Does anyone on this forum know if this zoom-controller would work with a GH4?
Thanks,
Malcolm
Malcolm Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2014, 06:07 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: is GH4 LANC-compatible?

Since nobody responded, I'll say this. Googling "GH4 LANC" will give you some answers. The B&H specs say it has a wired remote port. Panasonic historically refused to license the LANC protocol from Sony and had it's own. That's why there are some remotes that have special models for Panny camcorders. Eventually, BeBob built one that worked for both but the world went DSLR at around the same time.

Even if Panny did implement LANC, it would not zoom because, well, the GH4 has no zoom motor. There are some other functions in LANC like record stop and start and focus. YMMV
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2014, 07:47 AM   #3
Major Player

When I asked a local dealer and GH4 enthusiast the same question his reply was what is Lanc? I went to another dealer.

The remote socket on the GH4 is the same size as the Lanc sockets I am used to. However I have been looking at pictures of various remotes for the GH4 and the plugs are equipped with a tip and three rings whereas the plugs on my two Lanc controllers both have the tip and two rings i.e. one less contact. So I would say that the GH4 does not have Lanc. The GH4 remote on the GH4 is only used for stopping and starting as well as single shots. Some of the third party remotes have timers for time- lapse functions.
Alastair Traill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2014, 08:33 AM   #4
Major Player

thanks Les and Alastair. Given that, even if I could find a LANC-style controller, I wouldn't be able to zoom in or out, I don't think it's worth it!
Regards, Malcolm
Malcolm Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2014, 08:37 AM   #5
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Wilson View Post
Even if Panny did implement LANC, it would not zoom because, well, the GH4 has no zoom motor. There are some other functions in LANC like record stop and start and focus. YMMV
he he,
Panny did implement LANC, but it's not LANC :), Panasonic uses different protocol, but all the options available with LANC for Sony and Canon, also available (depending on camera) on Panasonic cameras,
including zoom :)) if you use PZ lenses,
I just bought Libec lens controller and waiting for 14-42 PZ lens, it will be nice be able to zoom again on steadicam !
Old June 27th, 2014, 11:07 AM   #6
Major Player

no. like others said it's a panasonic protocol. You need a remote made for panasonic , like the libec 3DV for example (switchable sony-canon/panasonic). Panasonic gives a 2.5mm port for zoom and a 3.5mm for iris on the video cameras. The libec will only control the zoom.
Anthony Lelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2014, 02:22 PM   #7
Regular Crew

I have an old VariZoom controller and it does not work on the GH4.
Harry Pallenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2014, 07:33 PM   #8
Regular Crew

I tried a manfrotto LANC unit. Only starts/stops video on my GH4. I don't have a servo zoom to test.
Mark Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2014, 01:42 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Does anyone know what features that are available through LANC in the GH4?
Old July 4th, 2014, 05:03 AM   #10
Trustee

looks like the zoom works in the panny lenses

GH4 Crew » Blog Archiv » GH4 with 45-175 Power lens and Manfrotto remote
Old July 12th, 2014, 05:35 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony Lelli View Post
no. like others said it's a panasonic protocol. You need a remote made for panasonic , like the libec 3DV for example (switchable sony-canon/panasonic). Panasonic gives a 2.5mm port for zoom and a 3.5mm for iris on the video cameras. The libec will only control the zoom.
Can anyone confirm whether a Panasonic-supporting remote such as the Libec works with the GH2? The GH2 has a remote port, and I have the 45-175 motorized lens, but the GH2 manual only refers to remote shutter release as a function, and the Libec web site doesn't list any specific supported models. Was the remote zoom functionality introduced only with the GH3 or GH4?
Bob Richardson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series