B4 to MFT adapter - anyone using it on the GH4? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old July 17th, 2014, 01:49 PM   #1
Regular Crew

B4 to MFT adapter - anyone using it on the GH4?

Hi All,

Has anyone here used a B4 to MFT adapter on a GH4 and if so which would you recommend?

Thanks,
Salvatore
Salvatore Privitera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2014, 01:59 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: B4 to MFT adapter - anyone using it on the GH4?

And a follow-up to the original poster's question with a question of my own: I currently own multiple GH2s, and I'm considering both adding a GH2 (for the benefits of 4K) and purchasing a B4 adapter with suitable TV zoom lens and power supply (to replicate to the best extent possible the versatile zoom capabilities of an ENG-style camera I no longer own).

I understand that most B4 lenses do not cover the full sensor area of the GH2 over the entire zoom range unless the built in doubler is engaged, which of course doubles the focal length and cuts down a stop or two on the received light.

However, the GH4, especially in UHD mode, has a smaller crop area than the GH2. Is that smaller crop area sufficient to work natively with a B4 lens without the doubler or further cropping/scaling in post?
Bob Richardson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2014, 02:17 PM   #3
Regular Crew

And I will answer half of my own question... After watching several videos of adapted B4 lenses, it's clear that without the doubler the image area is way smaller than any micro four thirds camera's crop, so scaling in post is required without the doubler, at least at wider angles. But that might not be a bad option with 4K/UHD raw footage.
Bob Richardson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2014, 03:41 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Be careful about trying to use a B4 lens on a micro 4/3 camera!
I bought tried one with a "standard b4 to m43 mount" and the image was soft.
You really need a something like a HDx2 Mark II B4/PL Optical Adapter which is really expensive to get a really sharp image...
(HDx2 Mark II B4/PL Optical Adapter :: Optical Adapters :: Lens Adapters :: Optical Solutions :: Equipment Sales :: AbelCine)
Rob Hargreaves is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series