GH4 freezing up and non-responsive? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old November 17th, 2014, 06:21 PM   #1
Regular Crew

GH4 freezing up and non-responsive?

Hi Everyone,

Just curious if anyone has experienced this before. I bought a GH4 in the summer and have used it a few times since then but never really gave it a good workout.

I recently took it on vacation and used it as both my stills camera and to shoot some video, However, on several days, while in video mode, the camera would just freeze up and become unresponsive. The LCD screen would freeze at the last point of filming and all function buttons were unresponsive. Even if I turned the on/off lever to "off", the camera stayed on as it was. The only way to get the camera to respond was to actually remove the battery and pop it back in. Only then would it be usable. This happened one time on the first day, and then it happened three times a few days later. It was, and still is, somewhat concerning as this is also my work camera which I use for paid gigs. I sold my Sony EX1 and solely use the GH4 now.

Here is some info:

- GH4 has latest firmware update.
- Was not shooting in 4K, but in 1080p 96fps (100mb).
- Was using the recommended faster memory card (SanDisk Extreme Pro 32GB / 280MB/S / UHS Speed Class 3)

Also, because of these 4 camera freeze ups, several files were lost and the file numbering seems to have messed up a bit. I have a handful of clips that have the same file numbers, even though they are clearly different clips.

Since it was just vacation footage, I wasn't too concerned, but my fear is this happening on a paid job where I might lose a good sequence of footage.

Has anyone else had the GH4 freeze up on them? Did you have to pop the battery to restore function?

Thanks for any info or input.
Chad Hucal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2014, 07:23 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: GH4 freezing up and non-responsive?

I have not experienced this behaviour from my GH4 yet and yes i have shot the 96fps a lot.

However at the variable framerate when i normally choose 2 fps to get a time lapse , and stop it camera gives a indication Please wait on the LCD for some time,
very irritating and sometimes holds you from starting the second time-lapse.

vishal
Vishal Jadhav is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series